Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My master cylinder has a slight leak, so I'm replacing it completely. I've done this on another ABS car (Ford Explorer), and at that car's online forum there were all sorts of warnings about not letting air into the ABS part of the system. If you do, you have to buy an expensive tool to bleed it.

Are there any similar -- or other caveats -- about changing a Taurus/Sable master cylinder?

Anyone done it and have suggestions?

·
Registered
7 Posts
My master cylinder has a slight leak, so I'm replacing it completely. I've done this on another ABS car (Ford Explorer), and at that car's online forum there were all sorts of warnings about not letting air into the ABS part of the system. If you do, you have to buy an expensive tool to bleed it.

Are there any similar -- or other caveats -- about changing a Taurus/Sable master cylinder?

Anyone done it and have suggestions?
[/b]
Hello,

When bleeding an ABS system youre required to have a scan tool which has a feature that allow you to bleed the ABS. It give signals to the ecu to give order to the ABS system unit to open and close its valve mechanisims regarding to the bleeding process. Read the instructions of the scan tool on how to bleed ABS. Its recomended to change the old DOT brake fluid Oil after replacing a new master cylinder. You can replace the master cylinder and you may take it to a professional garage to bleed the system for you if you don't have the scan tool.

Cheers..

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
Just bench bleed the new master cylinder, then do a normal bleeding procedure on all four wheels when you have the new master cylinder in.

I replaced the master cylinder in my SHO a couple weeks ago and had no ABS problems whatsoever.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Ya, what he said ^

You only need to do an ABS service bleed when you replace the HCU, or activate the ABS with air in the system. Otherwise, the ABS valves are open, and the air will pass right thru the HCU while doing a normal bleed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts