Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone walk me thru the process of replacing upper and lower intake manifold 0 rings on my 2000 3.0 L Duratec engine. I've located instructions for pre-2000's that use a 1 pc gasket but can't find mine. If the instructions are the same then it's not problem.

Tom

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do a search for intake manifold gasket for a 2000-2002 DOHC Taurus and see what comes up. The 1-pc is for the standard V6.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
So you're saying that each intake runner has its own gasket, as opposed to a one-piece gasket? I can't say one way or the other, as I've had a 1998 Duratec, which had a one-piece gasket for both top and bottom, and AFAIK, my 2003 Duratec has the same design.

I can't find a close-up picture of the intake manifold for a 2000-2002 Duratec...

JR

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Well, if they're similar to those listed on that eBay link, you'd just use a pick to get the old O-rings out of the upper intake manifold to lower intake manifold connection, replace them, and use the solid gaskets for the lower manifold to cylinder head connection.

I don't think there is any special procedure that you'd use.

JR

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
Well, if they're similar to those listed on that eBay link, you'd just use a pick to get the old O-rings out of the upper intake manifold to lower intake manifold connection, replace them, and use the solid gaskets for the lower manifold to cylinder head connection.

I don't think there is any special procedure that you'd use.

JR [/b]
The gaskets on my 2000 are all individual, both upper and lower. Not hard to remove, I just pinched them and pulled them out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. That's exactly what i wanted to hear. Anything i should be careful of when pullling things apart?

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
Thanks. That's exactly what i wanted to hear. Anything i should be careful of when pullling things apart? [/b]
Don't break any vacuum lines. They get pretty brittle.

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
The gaskets are individual rubber rings that fit into a groove on the UIM. Same setup on the bottom of the LIM. Fel-Pro makes replacements. The Chevy LS series V8 engines with composite manifolds use the same setup. They simply pull out and pop back in place. I would not reuse old gaskets once they have been pulled out of the groove because they most likely won't go back in. They expand. New gaskets don't have this problem and slip in easily.

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
When I changed the UIM and front valve cover on my '03 duratec with parts off of an '01 duratec I had no problems re-using my original gaskets. I took the o-rings out of the original pieces and right away installed them in the new ones with no problems. Just dont use anything sharp to remove them fron the original location.

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
The question is , WHY are you wanting to do this?

If it is because of carbon buildup the composit intake pretty much eliminates it on the 2000.

Mike
B)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not positive, but i believe i've got a vacuum leak caused be the 0 rings. The car has a cold start idle problem that disappears as soon as it's warmed up. I've checked everything else but the intake seals.

tom

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
try torquing them back down, before you tear everything appart

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
replaced the UIM and LIM 0-rings this weekend along with the PCV valve (great location) and a short length of rubber vacuum hose that looked suspect. I had already replaced the UIM-to-PCV hose assembly last week. Car now starts and idles great when cold. Seems one of them cured the problem.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts