Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, this is my first post on the forum as I have just joined. I was hoping to get some help figuring out how to setup a push start system in my 05 taurus without bypassing the PATS system.

It is, as far as I am aware, not possible to wire the push button directly to the starter of the car without disabling the PATS system. I would rather not have to run a wire to rig up a relay from the starter to the driver side footwell even if it was.

On my 05 taurus the little 12 dollar plastic piece that translates the turning key motion to move the ignition switch broke and from what I read you have to disconnect the airbag and take the steering wheel off to have the access to replace it. The ignition switch does start the car as long as the key is in the lock but you have to physically switch the ignition switch to start the car and to shut it off. It is hard on the hands and I am tired of starting it this way.

I have a bit of a background in electrical engineering so it was easy enough to rig up 2 on/off switches and a push start button to replace the ignition switch for the car. However I seem to have messed up something important as the accessory and run "key positions" work like you would expect, but when I press the push button the car acts like it is trying to start (radio cuts out and such) but it seems like the computer prevents it as it does not even crank. I presume it is the computer and PATS system preventing as it acts the same when I physically switch the ignition switch to the start position but forget to put the key in.

Let me know if anybody can help with this. I figured we could make it into a how to article so I put it in this section.

Some info on how I did the electrical so far:

I modified some off the shelf autozone spade connectors to fit in each slot on the female connector the ignition switch connects into. ( The cet1308 connector here: CET1308 . This is a connectorexperts.com internal part number unfortunately. I was unable to find the manufacturer or real part name to look up male connector for it.) Conveniently 16 to 14 gauge male quick disconnect spade connectors (autozone part # 85453) fit the 2 big holes for the ignition harness connector and if you cut half the connector off they fit perfect in the slender slots on the connector. I applied a thin coat of solder for extra strength on the connectors I modified.

I based my wiring off the 2004 taurus wire descriptions found in pdf I attached below. I could not find wiring for the 2005 taurus so that could be part of the issue.

How I wired the switches:

All 4 green/purple 12V wires from the cet1308 ignition switch connector go to one end of a kill switch. The other end of the kill switch has a wire to the black/green second accessory wire, a power wire to provide 12v to the push button, and power wires to the second "run" switch.

The "run" switch connects the ignition wire (red/green) and the 1st accessory wire (black/yellow) to 12v.

The push button connects the red/blue starter wire to 12v.

Before making up my little wiring harness I reverse engineered my 05 taurus`s ignition switch with a multimeter and here is what I found:

In the accessory position the second accessory wire and 12v were connected. All other wires were disconnected from each other.

In the run position Ignition, 1st accessory and 2nd accessory each had a separate 12v line they were connected to and they were not interconnected together.

In the start position the ignition and start wires were connected to separate 12v lines. The accessory lines were not connected to 12v. I am not sure if I tested if ignition and start were connected. I forgot to write that down if I did.

I am sure I overlooked something. Any help you can provide will be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Administrator
15,115 Posts
There are several threads here on the failed actuator. It is a serious PITA to replace so most folks replace the steering column and swap the key tumblers

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are seeral threads here on the failed actuator. It is a serious PITA to replace so most folks replace the steering column and swap the key tumblers
I am not sure what swapping the steering column involves, but it sounds like the same amount of work. Also, from what I read on how the key turns the ignition switch swapping the lock out does not fix anything. Plus I wanted a push to start button system so I decided to find a way to install one and solve the issue this way instead.

·
Administrator
15,115 Posts
Swapping the tumbler allows you to use the key your PATS system currently recognizes in another column. The column is not a particularly difficult swap.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Swapping the tumbler allows you to use the key your PATS system currently recognizes in another column. The column is not a particularly difficult swap.
I would rather find out what I am missing in my push start setup to replicate the ignition switch.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Would you happen to know if there is some documentation on the site regarding how the ignition switch functions on an 05 taurus? Or documentation on how the ignition and accessory wires connect to the computer?

I wasn't able to find any diagrams other than what I posted above in my searches so far.

I do appreciate your info, however I do not want to modify my car that way. I wanted to do it this way for the fun of it and because I needed the wiring supplies anyway to rewire my chevy gmt400 the way I need it to work. I might do the same thing to it. Plus the push start feels fancier to me and that is why I want it. I am a man who loves his big red buttons and flashy led lights.

I also figure it will also answer the other posts I have seen where it has been asked "how do I wire a push start button." On one of the posts I have seen multiple forum users responded "why would you want that? The key works just fine." None of them actually answered the original posters question. I cannot say I have exhaustively searched this forum, but I have not seen the question "how do I wire a push start button in a taurus/sable with the PATS System" answered yet. Let alone putting one in without disabling it.

·
Administrator
15,115 Posts
My source for wiring diagrams is no longer available but even if it was for obvious reasons I would not publicly post info that would allow someone to defeat PATS. That said, I am sure a clever person who got their hands on a remote starter kit with an anti-theft key box would be headed in the right direction.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Installing a remote start device will get you to where you want to go but you will have to install a bypass box with a key installed. That said anyone could just start your car by pressing the start button. You could install the bypass without the key then you would have to insert the key in the box and then push the start button. All remote starts have a brake switch which shuts done the car when pressed.

I used Bulldog Security remote starts and they had a good page on wiring in their remote starts to specific cars.

·
Registered
1999 Taurus SE Wagon (dohc, ax4n)
305 Posts
It’s three in the morning, I’m very tired but can’t sleep, so I hope I read some of what you typed correctly and I hope what I’m replying (with talk to text) makes some sort of sense.

I’m not 100% sure of what you were looking for but you noted that you do not want to bypass the PATS. This means you will need to continue to use the transponder that is in your key. How about something like this: move the transponder reader two the center consul or even the driver’s interior door grab or some other slot. Take the transponder out of the key and make some sort of encapsulation for it. In all honesty you could just cut the metal part of the key off. You could also put the transponder into the key fob. Drop the key fob onto the center consul or in a slot on the door or maybe use a cupholder even. It would then send the correct signal to the PATS and allow the car to start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Installing a remote start device will get you to where you want to go but you will have to install a bypass box with a key installed. That said anyone could just start your car by pressing the start button. You could install the bypass without the key then you would have to insert the key in the box and then push the start button. All remote starts have a brake switch which shuts done the car when pressed.

I used Bulldog Security remote starts and they had a good page on wiring in their remote starts to specific cars.
Yeah, this is what I am trying to do except instead of installing the bypass box I was going to just stick the key in the ignition as is to use the Pat's system.

I will have to look up the bulldog security remote start to see if I can use it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It’s three in the morning, I’m very tired but can’t sleep, so I hope I read some of what you typed correctly and I hope what I’m replying (with talk to text) makes some sort of sense.

I’m not 100% sure of what you were looking for but you noted that you do not want to bypass the PATS. This means you will need to continue to use the transponder that is in your key. How about something like this: move the transponder reader two the center consul or even the driver’s interior door grab or some other slot. Take the transponder out of the key and make some sort of encapsulation for it. In all honesty you could just cut the metal part of the key off. You could also put the transponder into the key fob. Drop the key fob onto the center consul or in a slot on the door or maybe use a cupholder even. It would then send the correct signal to the PATS and allow the car to start.

I hadn't thought about moving the Pat's sensor yet. I will keep those suggestions in mind when I get that far. I was focusing on figuring out how to rig up a wiring harness with manual switches and a push button to replace the ignition switch first.

·
Registered
1999 Taurus SE Wagon (dohc, ax4n)
305 Posts
I hadn't thought about moving the Pat's sensor yet. I will keep those suggestions in mind when I get that far. I was focusing on figuring out how to rig up a wiring harness with manual switches and a push button to replace the ignition switch first.
There are a lot of commercially available units with switches that are specifically designed. If you are trying to create the system yourself, you might go with two switches: The first switch push on, push off for ignition. The second switch momentary for your starter.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
When you turn the key in the ignition there are many wires that get switched and using a simple switch will not work. The accessories, ignition power and other power wires get switched and also the momentary starter power. It will take a couple of relays to accomplish the task.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts