Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IAC Valve

This is my first time on the forum and need some feedback. When my Father passed away I got his Taurus. He lived in Illinois and I had to drive it back to AZ. Since that trip I have found/repaired many things but a few have me stumped. I can fix motorcycles but cars are a different animal and I have over 164,000 miles on it and I decided that I needed to change spark plugs and wires as my 6th cylinder was missing. I did this, then noted that my thermastat should be changed and so I did this also. The car ran BEAUTIFULLY for about 30 miles and then started to hesitate and sort of gasp for air when I re-started her or tried to shift into gear. I went and had it hooked up to a meter and it reads "Troubleshooting P1507 IAC -underspeed error- ECM has detected an engine speed less than desired" Engine vacuum leak, failed IAC valve, open or shortened electrical condition or air inlet is plugged. A man told me "little girl, you need to replace the IAC valve" and so I went to a parts store and purchased one. It says that I need to torque it 71-102 pounds, and what I want to know is do I HAVE to buy a torque wrench for this or can I just gauge it? Is it TOTALLY necessary to use a torque wrench or can I use a standard wrench? Also, is a P1504 & P1507 reading basically the same thing? And why do they call it a valve when it doesn't exactly look like a valve? I won't need any sealant for the gasket will I? I didn't read anything about that in the instructions or in my chiltons manual. Any advice given will be greatly appreciated. I have put so much work into and still have more to go. Also, I have to wait a few weeks to replace my head gasket. It is not leaking at this time but it was recommended by the dealer. Can I run Thermagasket through until I can get to the replacement? :)

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
The iac is a valve. It takes air from each side of the butterfly in the TB. Anyway I never used a tq wrench. Just don't kill it when you put it on. It may come with a new seal. If not you need one. Don't use anything other then the one that it comes with. Some guys clean them out and get them to work for a short time. You would run carb cleaner in it. Hope that helps. And question PM me I have done them a bunch if times on my Cars.
Steve

QUOTE (paintergirl @ May 26 2010, 05:35 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=806965
IAC Valve

This is my first time on the forum and need some feedback. When my Father passed away I got his Taurus. He lived in Illinois and I had to drive it back to AZ. Since that trip I have found/repaired many things but a few have me stumped. I can fix motorcycles but cars are a different animal and I have over 164,000 miles on it and I decided that I needed to change spark plugs and wires as my 6th cylinder was missing. I did this, then noted that my thermastat should be changed and so I did this also. The car ran BEAUTIFULLY for about 30 miles and then started to hesitate and sort of gasp for air when I re-started her or tried to shift into gear. I went and had it hooked up to a meter and it reads "Troubleshooting P1507 IAC -underspeed error- ECM has detected an engine speed less than desired" Engine vacuum leak, failed IAC valve, open or shortened electrical condition or air inlet is plugged. A man told me "little girl, you need to replace the IAC valve" and so I went to a parts store and purchased one. It says that I need to torque it 71-102 pounds, and what I want to know is do I HAVE to buy a torque wrench for this or can I just gauge it? Is it TOTALLY necessary to use a torque wrench or can I use a standard wrench? Also, is a P1504 & P1507 reading basically the same thing? And why do they call it a valve when it doesn't exactly look like a valve? I won't need any sealant for the gasket will I? I didn't read anything about that in the instructions or in my chiltons manual. Any advice given will be greatly appreciated. I have put so much work into and still have more to go. Also, I have to wait a few weeks to replace my head gasket. It is not leaking at this time but it was recommended by the dealer. Can I run Thermagasket through until I can get to the replacement? :)[/b]

·
Registered
179 Posts
8mm socket wrench...

dont strip it or tighten it until you hear it pop, just make sure it's good and tight so it wont go anywhere...
that's how i did mine, not even two weeks ago and it's fine... the new one should have come with the new gasket, also, get some electrical cleaner and spray the connector, just to make sure it's clean...

·
Registered
437 Posts
:) That little IAC paper gasket is about $8 at the Stealership (if they even have one). If it's not been gooped before, you should be able to re-use the old one. I used a bit of silicone soft sealant.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much Steve and everyone that helped. I did actually get the gasket included when I purchased the valve and I got the recommended silicone. I installed this morning and it is doing mucher better. I haven't had a chance to take it out for a spin yet but I will tomorrow when I pick up my grandson! Thanks so much for the help. i have a lot to accomplish on this vehicle and it's nice to know that I have a place to turn to. :rolleyes2:
QUOTE (Steve A @ May 27 2010, 09:09 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=807210
The iac is a valve. It takes air from each side of the butterfly in the TB. Anyway I never used a tq wrench. Just don't kill it when you put it on. It may come with a new seal. If not you need one. Don't use anything other then the one that it comes with. Some guys clean them out and get them to work for a short time. You would run carb cleaner in it. Hope that helps. And question PM me I have done them a bunch if times on my Cars.
Steve

QUOTE (paintergirl @ May 26 2010, 05:35 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=806965
IAC Valve

This is my first time on the forum and need some feedback. When my Father passed away I got his Taurus. He lived in Illinois and I had to drive it back to AZ. Since that trip I have found/repaired many things but a few have me stumped. I can fix motorcycles but cars are a different animal and I have over 164,000 miles on it and I decided that I needed to change spark plugs and wires as my 6th cylinder was missing. I did this, then noted that my thermastat should be changed and so I did this also. The car ran BEAUTIFULLY for about 30 miles and then started to hesitate and sort of gasp for air when I re-started her or tried to shift into gear. I went and had it hooked up to a meter and it reads "Troubleshooting P1507 IAC -underspeed error- ECM has detected an engine speed less than desired" Engine vacuum leak, failed IAC valve, open or shortened electrical condition or air inlet is plugged. A man told me "little girl, you need to replace the IAC valve" and so I went to a parts store and purchased one. It says that I need to torque it 71-102 pounds, and what I want to know is do I HAVE to buy a torque wrench for this or can I just gauge it? Is it TOTALLY necessary to use a torque wrench or can I use a standard wrench? Also, is a P1504 & P1507 reading basically the same thing? And why do they call it a valve when it doesn't exactly look like a valve? I won't need any sealant for the gasket will I? I didn't read anything about that in the instructions or in my chiltons manual. Any advice given will be greatly appreciated. I have put so much work into and still have more to go. Also, I have to wait a few weeks to replace my head gasket. It is not leaking at this time but it was recommended by the dealer. Can I run Thermagasket through until I can get to the replacement? :)[/b]
[/b][/quote]

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
No prob. Glad it worked out for you!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts