Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced my front pads with Hawk HPS. The oems had 2 holes on the back, which the Hawks did not, so the brackets (shims?) did not sit flush with the new pads.

Is it bad not to have the brackets in on? Do they make different ones for the hawk pads? Right now, i don't have em on on and i'm really hoping it's true that god blesses drunks and fools.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Originally posted by sundarpn@Feb 1 2004, 12:05 PM
can some one post good pic sof how to change the pads on the front discs
Pick up a Haynes manual at your parts store for $12-$15.

It will have all the pictures you will need.

Steve

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anybody? Is it bad to not have any brackets or shims behind the brake pads? It seems to be working fine, but i worried abaout damaging the piston/caliper...

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
is it always necessary to resurface the rotors when changing pads?
Also will the ajust themselves.. or is there an adjustment screw like in drum brakes

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The hawk pads recommend resurfacing if any scoring or grooves are over .012" in depth. If not they say to sand with 130 grit sandpaper to remove contamination from previous pads.

I've never seen 130 grit sandpaper (you can get 120 grit anywhere) and i was too lazy to take off the rotors (they 'felt' smooth enough). So far no ill effects (2 days, lite driving).

I believe disc brakes are self-adjusting. You have to 'reset' it with a c-clamp or some funky tool when replacing the pads, then pump the brake pedal before you move the car. It was suprising easy, that's why i'm worried.

All i've got is a chilton guide, a set of tools and very little experiance. (not to mention tcca!)

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
The "shims" AKA insulators are not absolutely necessary behind the pads. I just changed my front pads and, surprise, surprise, there were no insulators. So I had to put the new pads in w/o the insulators and now my pads are noisy when they get hot. I will be putting them in whenever I can get some from the dealer, though. I would say that if the insulators don't fit right, you have the wrong size pads on there (very common problem.)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Anybody? Is it bad to not have any brackets or shims behind the brake pads? It seems to be working fine, but i worried abaout damaging the piston/caliper...[/b]
Don't worry about leaving off the shims, it's not a problem. Instead get some "disk brake quiet". That's a spray that you apply to the back of the pads, instead of using shims. Good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts