Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I tried to do a forum search on this with no luck and googling hasn't been helping. Can anyone give me personal experience replacing battery cables? This would be in a 94 Taurus GL or something similar.

One of the hold down clips on my negative cable is snapped, it takes some jerryrigging to get it to work. I tried to find a replacement clip with no luck, fordparts said it's discontinued and the dealer said they would only give me entire cables. They also said they would replace the entire cables (which are old so it's prob good to replace the whole thing) for $65...at least that's what they estimate over the phone. Today I tried to solder it shut with rosin core solder wire but even after trying to wire brush the rust away the solder didn't want to stick well and it just popped apart again.

So I'm left with changing out the cables. Except when I tried to figure it out the cables just looked like they disappeared into the engine abyss in different directions. I went underneath (the front is up on jacks now) and it still looked abyssal. Is replacing the cables something a novice mechanic shouldn't attempt? I'm doing really good at autobody repair but my engine experience is limited to cleaning the IAC valve and researching. My Haynes manual just sort of says remove and replace without showing where they go. I'm wondering if I should just fork over the $65? I really want to get my hands dirty in that engine, but I don't want to screw it up right before I get her back on the road.

Thanks for the help guys, you've been a huuuuuge help during this initial learning process :wub:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update

Ok I just decided to power my way through this. Worse case scenario I have AAA tow the car to the dealership and they install the cables. I'm taking the cables out now and going to go by O'Reilly's and see if they have the right cables or can order them for me. Go go magic Taurus!

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
I believe OEM battery cables are discontinued. You can get any ole battery cables at your local auto parts store but may require some rewiring for grounds and whatever else splits off from the main cable. They should have everything for rewiring like the "HELP!" section.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!

So I actually got saved the expense of buying new cables. I removed the cables and took them to O'Reilly's, and the guy there looked them over and said even though they were 16 year old originals they were still in good shape minus the corroded clips. So I bought two new universal clips and he put them on the cables for me because I didn't have the right wire cutters to do it at home. I put some anti-battery-corrosion gel on them, reinstalled the cables the same way I uninstalled them, problem solved, for 6 bucks (including the gel). Not bad eh? I had fun digging out those cables though, had to contort into some interesting angles to remove the bolts :p

But this is definitely a great little chore for the novice mechanic.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts