Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago, I found a post showing approximate quantities of oil in the various Taurus A/C componentry (accumulator/dryer, condensor, evaporator). I believe the total system holds approx 7 ounces of PAG46 and the compressor itself holds only about 4 ounces. I guess this leaves 3 oz for everything except the compressor.

Since I'm installing a new compressor due to failure caused by leaks, I'm trying to guess how much oil to add upon repair. The compressor came with proper oil fill alreay inside.

Anyone have better info??

I have a Gen IV car, but any information for any generation appreciated.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Since your failure resulted in compressor damage, I suggest replacing the accumulator and flushing the condenser, evaporator and other lines. Use a pressurized flush product for this.

Proper oil charge is on the A/C warning label under the hood.

Drill a small hole in the old accumulator, invert it and measure the amount of oil inside. Add that much to the suction port of the new compressor. It will circulate properly on it's own.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Since your failure resulted in compressor damage, I suggest replacing the accumulator and flushing the condenser, evaporator and other lines. Use a pressurized flush product for this.

Proper oil charge is on the A/C warning label under the hood.

Drill a small hole in the old accumulator, invert it and measure the amount of oil inside. Add that much to the suction port of the new compressor. It will circulate properly on it's own.
Thanks Josh, but the compressor didn't seize, whine real loud or anything serious. There's almost no indication of black death. Just a hint of dust in the high pressure piping and dry connectors that were probably leaking. I think the compressor shaft leaked, requiring topoff yearly & for years it whined a bit louder than avg. Based upon inspection I'm not flushing the system and swapping out $100+ accumulator. This is going to be a $125 compressor swap with $10 worth of fresh o-rings, maybe a fresh orange orifice valve and two new schrader valves.

I'm hoping to find out the # of oz of pag46 oil for each system component so I can add the proper amount of oil. The system appears to have been lacking oil.

If nobody has any idea, I'm gonna try 1-1/2 oz plus the 4oz or so that came in the new compressor. I'm thinking an ounce or so is left hiding in accumulator lol.

I'm taking this on while I'm replacing my radiator with pinhole leak. The compressor can be replaced from below in a Gen IV Vulcan without much effort, once the radiator is removed. The Gen IV sheetmetal that supports the radiator assy has a notch in it to clear the lower rad hose which is just large enough to slide the compressor out/in. No need to screw with dropping subframes or pulling P/S etc.

With respect to pulling the radiator, I learned the popular gold 3/8" metal tool for the oil cooler disconnect sold at every parts store in a 4 size kit for $20 works much better than the flimsy $6 blue plastic tool sold by Ford and aftermarket. Pay for the metal tool. The plastic tool is too soft and too thin, so the tubing disconnects would not disengage.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts