Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am pretty sure my engine has failed at 118,000 miles. It has had a bad oil leak from the front seal through the timing chain cover and the oil pressure light stays on with a loud ticking from the front of the engine. It sounds like the oil pressure sending unit is bad and caused one of the front cams to fail. I can get my hands on another 1998 Duratec, with about 80K, from a local yard for $250, but the engine has been sitting for a few years. My mechanic said that as long the donor car has had no water enter the manifold and the hood has stayed closed, then the used motor should have no problems being used. I trust him but have never done this before. I have worries about the engine sitting so long without running. I know I would put new front and rear seals in, plus check the timing chain and tensioners. I would also think about using my existing intake and throttle body from the current engine. It has been a good car and I need to keep it going for a few more years. What are your suggestions and comments? Other engines in the area range from $750 for a 89K to $500 for anything 100k and up.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
A sending unit can't trash an engine. Hook up a pressure gauge to confirm low oil pressure first. An oil leak out of the timing cover won't cause low oil pressure, it's not a pressurized oil gallery. If the level ran low that's another story. Check the cam caps around the front of the motor for looseness. Don't codemn it unti lyou're sure it's bad.

If you do replace it, put all new gaskets on the junkyard motor first: oil pan, valve cover, intake, timing cover, PVC components.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it ran low when the ticking started and the oil pressure light came on....it took 1.5 quarts to fill it up and I think that is what hurt the engine....the ticking went away after about 2 days, then came back with force.... now the light stays on and has a horrible click-clack sound at idling that does not go away....sounds like it is coming from the front cams....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.