Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Replacing 02 Duratec Engine <50,000 Miles

4K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  shoz123 
#1 ·
So anyways I just bought an 02 taurus DOHC with <50,000 miles cheap yesterday. The motor lost oil pressure and the owner didn't catch it in time and the motor is toast. I bought the car and a motor and am in the middle of swapping it in. Have the old one out and everything swapped to the new one to be dropped in tomorrow. I have a few questions I am having troubles finding the answers too.

1. Is it common for these motor to lose oil pressure and what was the likely cause of it? Oil pump? The oil pressure sending unit? Something else?

2. We removed the motor separate from tranny and it would go back in a lot better if we could get the harmonic balancer off but can't figure it out and don't want to break anything. Couldn't find out how to do it in the Haynes manual.

I am really looking for some advice as to why this motor lost oil pressure. Any advice would be really appreciated. Thank You.

#5 ·
Never heard of it either. :dunno:
Probably the oil pump failure as already mentioned. :)

#7 ·
Pull the pan and see if the pickup tube came off or was clogged

Otherwise gonna have to vote with everyone else and say pump failure.

Mike
:dunno:

#9 ·
#10 ·
I don't really know much about it besides what the guy told me. The motor was/is nearly seized solid. The started couldn't turn it at all. Had a VERY hard time turning the crank to get the nuts off the flywheel.

How about the crank pulley, how does a guy get that off without breaking anything. Is the 5/8"s head on the very end a bolt. I have never seen a harmonic balancer like this before.

#11 ·
QUOTE (Gotts2bme @ Mar 18 2009, 08:34 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=710201
I don't really know much about it besides what the guy told me. The motor was/is nearly seized solid. The started couldn't turn it at all. Had a VERY hard time turning the crank to get the nuts off the flywheel.

How about the crank pulley, how does a guy get that off without breaking anything. Is the 5/8"s head on the very end a bolt. I have never seen a harmonic balancer like this before.[/b]
The head on the end of the pulley isnt a bolt, but it is where you get hold of it to get it off. The pulley and the shaft it's attached to will come out of the balancer. There is then a bolt under where the pulley sits that holds the balancer to the crank. One of the two is reverse thread, don't recall which one.

#12 ·
well got the motor in and its running like a champ again, have a ton of extra parts lieing around for it now.

One thing i found was that the fuel rails were different between the 2 motors. One has a shradder valve and the other has a vacuum line and some sensor connected to it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.