Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

On my Taurus 2000 SE the shift cable broke (I have a column shifter). I purchased the replacement cable from Ford and am attempting to install it by myself.

I was able to successfully remove the old cable and place the new one through the firewall. The problem I'm having is aligning the square bracket (that only fits in one direction) to the metal frame under the column. After the cable is positioned at such an angle where I could attempt to fit the bracket in place its on the wrong side and I can't move the cable to the correct position.

I have been told that the installation is suppose to be pretty quick so I think I'm missing something simple.

I notice that their is a fuse box that could possible be in the way, although I don't know how to remove it. The fuse box has one bolt on the bottom that I can remove and something keeping it in place on the top that I can't see. I don't know however if this is something I should even need to remove to install the shift cable correctly.

If anyone could help or point me in the direction of some information I would be greatfull.

Ryan

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Hey Ryan. Welcome to the club! :)

You'll have to be patient with the Gen IV owners. Many of them have a hard time putting air in their tires, let alone actually performing repairs their cars. :p

Someone'll see this and point you in the right direction. :thumb:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the thoughts! :D I have been frustrated trying to install this simple part for the past week (off and on). I just can't help but to think I'm missing something very simple yet fundmental.

Anyone have the Ford service CD, for this make and model?

Thanks
Ryan

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Dont listen to Hamal, hes still stuck in the mid 90s with his gen 2s. His rice mufflers add 40 HP you know. :p

Hope this helps:

Selector Lever Cable and Bracket — Floor Shift

Removal

1. Remove the center console. For additional information, refer to «Section 501-12».

µ 2. Disconnect the selector lever cable from the selector lever.

l Remove the selector lever cable from the transaxle range selector lever.

l Depress the tab on the selector lever cable and remove the cable from the selector lever housing.

µ Refer to corresponding illustration.

µ 3. Remove the rear air distribution duct, if necessary.

4. Disengage the rubber grommet from the bulk head.

l Working from the passenger compartment, pull the insulation back to access the rubber grommet.

µ 5. Remove the selector lever cable from the manual lever.

µ 6. Depressing the tabs, remove the selector lever cable from the transmission shift cable bracket.

7. Feed the selector lever cable inside the vehicle and remove.

Installation

1. Note:
From inside the vehicle, feed the selector lever cable through the floor.

Follow the removal procedure in reverse order.

l Place the selector lever in OVERDRIVE, then attach the selector lever cable to the selector lever.

l Move the manual lever to OVERDRIVE, then install the selector lever cable onto the manual lever.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:D I have fixed it. The thing that I was doing wrong, that now seems as DUH, was :notworthy: I needed to attach the latch first and then push the shift cable through the firewall.

This didn't seem like the correct way because I didn't belive their was enough room for the cable to pass through all the things in the way. It did however.

I don't know if the cable is following the same path as it did befor although it works now. (The cable no passes in front of the fuse box).

Ryan

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Originally posted by ryan@May 23 2004, 02:32 AM
:D I have fixed it. The thing that I was doing wrong, that now seems as DUH, was :notworthy: I needed to attach the latch first and then push the shift cable through the firewall.

This didn't seem like the correct way because I didn't belive their was enough room for the cable to pass through all the things in the way. It did however.

I don't know if the cable is following the same path as it did befor although it works now. (The cable no passes in front of the fuse box).

Ryan
whoops, sorry I read the post too fast! I have the directions for the column shift or anything else you need. Let me know.

-DC

1 - 8 of 8 Posts