Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone. After a gap of around four years I have bought my third Taurus, an immaculate Ghia originally sold new here back in 1996. As most of you probably know, the Taurus for Australia, NZ and Japan had Sable headlamps.

Well, some prat in a Land Cruiser backed into me and now I need a new headlight. The ones available here are secondhand units in worse condition than the one that got broken, invariably featuring bad hazing. And they're expensive. I have a couple of questions about getting replacements from Stateside:
1) I've noticed the photos of replacement units seem to have what look like small yellow bulbs on the inside edge of the unit. Could anyone shed some light on these as they are not a feature on the Pacific Taurus?
2) ALL of the Ebay sellers refuse to ship internationally. They even seem to shun non-continental US. Any members got any ideas on where I can buy them that will offer international shipping? Maybe someone from Hawaii etc has ideas on where to buy?

Not sure if this is going to work for linking to an image but I'll give it a go anyway:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...0275892199311.351172.565104310&type=1&theater

Thanks for having a look, any help would be much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
So the units you are seeing are actually the USDM Mercury Sable. Same designed headlight fixture, just has internal housing setup for a turn signal/parking light. These lamps will fit on your Aussie bull.

Before you replace them, have you tried finding a prominent detailer to wetstand and reclear the headlights? It'll be significantly cheaper in the long run....surely there are a few hard core detailers in New Zealand that can handle it...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Looks like they are going to be the way to go. Have been alerted to another possibility, that the reflectors inside the lights on LHD vehicles may aim more towards the RH side of the road as against to the LH side on RHD vehicles. I've never noticed, but have been told it could be an issue. Anybody able to shed some light on that? (scuse the pun!)

Also, still open-eared on anybody's suggestions as to export-friendly parts suppliers.

·
Premium Member
2003 Ford taurus Centennial Edition
1,405 Posts
You might try some wreckers in australlia...that's where I got some parts for my Bull.

·
Registered
10,566 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. Just to clarify for those who are suggesting 3M etc kits - I have a smashed headlight.

Rock Auto looks promising. Anybody tried these HID kits? 8000K HID 96-99 MERCURY SABLE RH/LH OEM STYLE HEADLIGHT | eBay

Are they worth the extra $70 a pair? Luckily my NZ spec Taurus has a pair of spotlights that serve as high beams in the lower bumper, but the low beam lights are so-so, and I tend to find myself slowing to around 90kph when the lights are dipped so as to see enough of the road.

Other than that, thanks for the Rock Auto website link, I'm impressed with the range of parts and the ease of use.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
3M makes a terrible restoration kit. All it does is remove whatever protection your headlight already had. Yes it is easy to use, and looks good when its done, name one restoration kit or small bag of wetsand paper and polish that doesn't produce good results? It is in the same class and the Turtle Wax, Meguire's, Permatex, etc. All they are is fine sandpaper and some "polish", which is usually a wax. They strip off all the headlights protective coating, leaving the lens vulnerable to deeper damage. They will fade faster, and will be harder to restore once the protection has been stripped off.

A good kit replaces the clearcoat so that it doesn't fade or haze again. Sylvania is the only kit I know of available retail that does this. There are also spray on treatments that can be used in conjunction with other kits that don't include a clearcoat, but that approach is expensive enough that you would only want to go that route if you can't get the Sylvania or your are a professional.

HID conversions are unsafe and ineffective, thats why they are not only illegal in all 50 US states, but every western nation. The light source is a different shape, and use different optics, so when you put an HID bulb into a halogen housing, you get a lot of scattering. Even factory HID setups are proving their inferiority. They have poor color rendering, and produce maximum glare with minimal benefits, other than they appear to be brighter, giving the driver a false perception of improved vision. Visit http://www.danielsternlighting.com/ for all the information you will ever need about the truth about automotive headlights.

And yes, the US headlights might look the same, and might fit, but they are made for countries where people drive on the right side of the road. This means they cast their light straight ahead and to the right. If you put them on your car, and you drive on the left, the headlights will shine directly into oncoming traffic. US headlights also use a DOT beam pattern, I'm pretty sure NZ uses an eCode beam pattern.

I would recommend sticking to either your NZ market or with European sources. Hazed or dulled headlamps can be restored to like new condition.

·
Premium Member
2003 Ford taurus Centennial Edition
1,405 Posts
I still say get some from a yard in AU. and use some restoration polish on them..would be WAAAAY cheaper than paying int'l. shipping for some...just my 2 cents!!!

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
^ What Don said. I do not know of any seller out there that carries LHD new tail lights. Is the clear plastic just cracked or is there more to the housing that is cracked? A junkyard/scrapyard like Don said would be your best bet for LHD headlights.

Another alternative, such as buying from Rock Auto, is to take the Sable light, and your old light. Bake them in the oven to warm the glue, and dissassemble the housings. Swap the components between them to make one legal LHD headlight and reseal with silicone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts