Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This odd vacuum elbow is from a 1997 Duratech engine. It goes on a pipe on the back side of the upper intake, near the throttle body. It's swelled up from oil to where it just falls off the pipe so I had to carefully put a hose clamp on it. Fortunately it hasn't yet turned to gooey mush.

The two small holes fit onto a pair of red hard lines with a ring on their ends. That's all that keeps it barely on the hard lines.
20210506_152225.jpg 20210506_152256.jpg 20210506_152247.jpg

·
Registered
10,653 Posts
Pick-n-pull jy?
Now that I think about it, that clamp was for a dishwasher drain. I collect stuff.
Pic of my test run for windshield hose splice. Clear hose is from a coffee maker. Very flexible, and nice clamps.
I think they now call that "re-purpose". Back on the farm, it was just every day fixin.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dunno why Dorman doesn't make replacements for that like they do for the PCV connection to the front valve cover. But their valve cover elbow fell apart in a week and I had to find some other rubber elbow to fit, which is still in good shape.

Oil proof synthetic rubbers that never ever swell up have been around for decades, but for some reason car manufacturers keep using crappy stuff, but only for some of the parts while others get the better materials.

Someone could design a mold to be 3D printed on one of those resin printers, then use a syringe to injection mold oil proof urethane elbows. But it ain't going to be me. I've enough on my plate with all the car part reproductions I already make. That includes new center console latches for the LX and SHO with a revised hook that's wider and thicker and curved properly so it will move instead of breaking when closed without pushing it back. Made one for my car and have sold a couple. I also made some orange handles for the dash vents because most of mine were gone and they were all gone from the junkyard cars, along with any good console latches. Why orange? Because I was casting something else in orange and had excess which I used to do test castings in the handle molds. Put them on the vents and left them there rather than stir up a tiny batch of black resin.

I could do a mold design and send the STL files to someone who does want to get it printed and try making repros of that special elbow. Or I could help someone with the design. I've been making silicone molds and doing resin castings for over 20 years. Little things like this are going to be needed more and more to keep them on the road. Heck, someday someone might even want to restore one to as close to factory new as they possibly can.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts