Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says, I replaced the timing chain and gears in my 1998 Ford Taurus with the 12v Vulcan (code U) in it. Figured I would do it since I had to replace the timing chain gasket and cover because of a coolant leak and the car has 250k on it. I took the old chain and gears right off together and then slid the new ones on. The crank and cam remained at the same spot. However, after I replaced them, I noticed that I had slack on the right side of the chain and the left side was tight. Not sure if there was any slack on the right side before I replaced them because I did not check, but I know there was a lot of slack on the left side. So, now I am worried that my timing might be off by a tooth.

The pic I am posting shows the crank gear and cam gear at what appears to be TDC. Does this look correct, or am I one tooth off? Would like to make sure I have this correct before I go ahead and lube it all up and then seal it all up.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
As the title says, I replaced the timing chain and gears in my 1998 Ford Taurus with the 12v Vulcan (code U) in it. Figured I would do it since I had to replace the timing chain gasket and cover because of a coolant leak and the car has 250k on it. I took the old chain and gears right off together and then slid the new ones on. The crank and cam remained at the same spot. However, after I replaced them, I noticed that I had slack on the right side of the chain and the left side was tight. Not sure if there was any slack on the right side before I replaced them because I did not check, but I know there was a lot of slack on the left side. So, now I am worried that my timing might be off by a tooth.

The pic I am posting shows the crank gear and cam gear at what appears to be TDC. Does this look correct, or am I one tooth off? Would like to make sure I have this correct before I go ahead and lube it all up and then seal it all up.

Timing marks are OK. Turn the crank a tiny bit CCW and they will align. Slight amount of slack is OK, will change from side to side depending on which way the crank was last turned.

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
About this Discussion
1 Reply
2 Participants
chartmaker
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing