Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my horn hasn't been working for quite some time. We had suspected we cut something accedently while doing some wiring under the dash. Turns out one of the pins on the connecter had broken. Along with that all the leads were corroded pretty bad dispite being fairly well sealed.

Anyway, we tried autozone and Advance Auto Parts. Neather carry the stock part. AZ listed an aftermarket part, but it isn't an OE direct replacement. I would have had to replace the stock connector and the connectors were very exposed. Would not have been good (though we did consider one of the aftermarket air horn systems
) We ended up going further down the street to like the only ford dealership within 20 miles that had a parts dept still open. it was like 37 something... about the list price on FordPartsNetwork. FPN had it for like 20 something, but then I have to ship it and wait for it and i was ready to replace it tonight.

The new piece was slightly different from the old piece. The horns themselves were pretty much identical, but the brackets were slightly different. The new metal components on the horns were aluminum or low grade steel (dull silver and not very heavy). The old horn used all brass. Also, the new horn didn't have the bolt through it that the old horn had. Since the old horn had the bolt welded in, we couldn't use just the bolt and we didn't have a bolt of the right size handy. We ended up just mounting the new horns on the old bracket and installing it that way.

To install, just start by turning the wheel all the way to the right. Jack the front driver's side up and remove the front half of the inner fender cover. You'll use a socket to undo the nut. The nut actually faces the front side of the car. You won't be able to see what you're doing, but you can reach up under the fender behind the bumper and use the rachet there. I didn't note what size. It was a standard socket we used, but it may actually be a metric bolt. It was like two sizes up from the standard equiv of a 10mm I believe. You disconnect the connector, pull the bolt and it's free. Install the new one in reverse and you're good to go! Mine works great now!

-Dan

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts
what you didn't opt for the "oga oga" horn?

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
Thats good info Dan .At some point I am doing a horn swap for my womans Maxima. For the size & power of the car it sure does have a wimpy horn.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yeah, the Taurus horn location is hosed -- literally. Way down low on the frame rails, and I drowned mine going thru a flooded intersection. Found out a week before the state inspection, which I would have busted. I did use the generics from Advance Auto at 10 bucks apiece and they fit fine with the stock brackets and connectors -- nothing's gonna keep 'em dry down there. Wonder how many hornless Tauri there are out there? (no pun intended)

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The new ones sound very loud by the way.

-Dan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts