Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK... we somewhat came to the conclusion here that my computer was bad on my 2002 Taurus SEL with the Duratech engine. I obtained a "tested" computer which finally arrived today and which matches the part numbers on the computer I had.

All good. I go to test things and I get the rapidly flashing "theft" light.

So...

a) Can I program it here at home (the car is immobile)?

b) Can I just disable PATS (not a lot of theft in our area ... especially for 9 year old cars)?

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
No, you can not program it at home. Must be done at a Ford dealer or a shop that has the Ford WDS. Probably $100 to $150 at a Ford dealer plus cost of a tow there.

PATS can be disabled using software you dont have. I dont know if the SCT tuning software can disable it or not. There are companies out there that can disable it for you if you send them the PCM. This is often done by people retrofitting modern engines to old iron.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oi. OK. Forgive me for being confused. I asked here if I could replace my computer with one from a junk yard ... one with the right part numbers. I actually asked about PATS... Sigh.

Is there anyone in the Toronto area who can disable PATS cheaply? I don't really have the dough to tow it to the stealer and then tow it back if there's something else besides the computer wrong.

Can anyone suggest a cheap ... preferably Toronto centric alternative?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Be clear that I'm not trying to assign blame (I'm a little annoyed at myself for not getting this clear).

I am, however, looking for low cost options...

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Be clear that I'm not trying to assign blame (I'm a little annoyed at myself for not getting this clear).

I am, however, looking for low cost options...
If your very clever and have the shop wiring diagrams, maybe.
I am not 100% sure about this, but i think the non pats cars did not have
the pats modules connected, and there is a jumper in the GEM module
or such that may disable it (put in non pats cars).

Your going to need to study the wiring diagrams
carefully to see if this may be true

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the alldata wiring diagram... which seems to come right from Ford. Can you possibly tell me which element is the PATS module? It's not called PATS in the index.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok. I think this is the PATS circuit in question:

... so... some combination of jumpering or cutting B and/or C is probably the answer. Can anyone weigh in?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I don't think it's that easy. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that there is actual serial communication going on between the PATS module and the PCM. If I'm wrong on that, then maybe you can apply power to pins 4 and 3 (12v? 5v?) on C252 and the PCM will be cool with it. But I kind of don't think it can be that simple. If it were, it seems like people wouldn't think PATS was such a big hassle, they'd just be using that workaround all the time.

Good luck with it!

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts