Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Replaced radiator now now start

4K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  360alaska 
#1 · (Edited)
Replaced radiator now no start

I just replaced the radiator in my 95 GL 3.0 and now I can't start it. I noticed that the fuel pump is not priming and the fan comes on when I turn the key to on - before I crank it. When cranking it I noticed that I have spark. I found a CCRM pinout online and noticed that I have 0 volts at pin 5 with the key on. I believe that this is power to the cutoff switch and the fuel pump but I don't think the PCM is giving a signal to energize the fuel pump relay but I'm not sure. I have jumped 12V to pin 5 and heard the pump come on but still no start. It's probably something I did when replacing the radiator but not I can't find anything wrong. Wondering if anyone has any ideas?

#3 · (Edited)
make sure the connector to the relay box above the radiator is connected and tight... If you have an old OBDI reader why don't you run KOEO test and see if the computer gives an11 with is the pcm basically saying its ok...

#4 ·
Thanks for the replys. rickpark, I have checked some fuses but I will check the rest tonight when I get home. xmanglc - I do not have a reader but I read online that if you ground STI the Self Test Input pin mounted on the passenger side fire wall that when you turn the key on the car will go into the KOEO test. Do I need a OBDI reader to go into that test? Any way when I do ground the STI wire and turn the key to on, I still only get the fan coming on same as when I don't ground it. I do have access to an OBDII reader but it will not read OBDI so I will try to get ahold of one that does and try it - thanks.

#7 ·
OK I borrowed an OBDI scanner and it says the vehicle is not responding. Not a big surprise as I also noticed my check engine light is not coming on when I turn my key on.
All fuses checked out - in fuse panel under dash and hi-current fuses under hood on driver side fender by firewall (didn't check fusible links though).
Re-checked CCRM connector. When I replaced the radiator, I did not disconnect the CCRM connector I just removed the two nuts holding it down and set it back out of the way - did I possibly damage a wire doing that?
It's like the PCM is either damaged or not being powered properly. Am I right thinking that the ingnition switch powers a PCM relay in the CCRM which in turn powers up the PCM and then the PCM controls the other relays in the CCRM? I have a pinout of the CCRM but not real clear on what wires are used to power the PCM.

#8 · (Edited)
Sound like your pcm isn't getting any power , either that or... its dead!! I have a attached A CCRM Diagram, check pin 8 and 24 for 12 volts

Attachments

#13 ·
I'm tellin you man, check pin 8 and 24 for 12volts with key in on position

Attachments

#9 ·
No pump/injector pulse/no CCRM signal or CEL sounds like an anti-theft failure. See if you can grab a wiring diagram for the theft sytem, including component locations. Is it a radio transmitter key you're using?

#11 ·
Its a 95.... no PATS system / transponder key of any kind, but may have keyless and remote entry depending on options.

No CEL in run because IRCM (no CCRM until 96) isnt powering up the PCM, likely due to bad connection at IRCM from connecting / disconnecting it.

#10 ·
I just replaced the PCM on my '97 because it died on my. Cooling fans were stuck on, fuel pump stayed running instead of a normal prime and no communication with the PCM through the scan tool. I managed to trace it down to the PCM. I'd suggest you check for power at the PCM connector. You will need a pin-out of the connector to check your values.

#15 ·
CCRM seems ok as far as supplying power to the pcm - 12V at pin 24 w/ koeo. 12V goes away when key is turned off. Thanks much for the Alldata schematic xmanglc. Need to check connector on pcm for 12V and good grounds and I believe I have the correct pinout. Two questions - one of the first things I checked for was spark and I saw one. Is it possible to get a spark with the pcm not powered or dead? and also, does a gen 2 have anti-theft system circuits?

#16 ·
no anti theft circuits on a 95, and looking at the Ignition system diagrams it looks like it will give a spark without a computer in the start position, but in run the computer has control... Here's another diagram, i'd look at pins 1,37,57 +12 power and 40,60 grounds

Attachments

#17 ·
Are the 2 little grey connectors near the battery connected well?? recheck everything you did.....it ran before.....................

IRCM and CCRM are wired differently, I've never had to actually replace an ECM on a Taurus, IRCMs on the other hand fail quite often.

#18 ·
It's a beautiful Saturday morning! She's running ! :D I had to pull the pcm connector to see the problem with my meter. Pins 40 and 60 were not at ground. Using the wiring dia. I got from this forum on a different thread shows theses two wires going to splice S114 then onto C112 then to chassis ground. So with one meter lead in pin 60 and the other on battery negative I wiggled C112 around and watched the ground come and go. I can't thank everyone enough!!! My first rodeo on a forum. I'm gonna stick around and maybe I can help someone some day. Thanks again everybody.

#20 ·
I'm glad you got it fixed, enjoy your car...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.