Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I replaced my heater core this past weekend (it actually wasn't that bad). Obviously, I had to drain the system coolant which I did by opening the radiator bleeder. I did not open the engine block bleeder. Well, everything is working fine except for two things:

1. The temp gauge does not rise to where it usually sits. If you can picture the gauge, the needle usually sits just under halfway to H. Since this fix was done, now it sits just above C. My thermostat is only about 9 months old. I'm wondering if perhaps there is air trapped in the cooling system? That seems to be the only logical conclusion since the gauge worked fine prior to the fix. If so, how would I remove trapped air? Perhaps something else is causing it? Thoughts? (ooooo...I just remembered that there is a fairly loose transistor on the circuit board located on the back side of the instrument cluster. I wonder if that might be part of the temp gauge circuit).

2. The fan kicks in less than 30 seconds after starting the car from a cold start, and after running for about 10 seconds, it will kick on about 30 seconds later. It seems really odd that the fans would turn on that frequently. My AC does have the belt across it, and when I witnessed this I had the heat on full. Thoughts?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
Sounds like air might still be in the system. To aid in bleeding air you can try driving the front of the car up onto a set of ramps or something of the same incline. Make sure coolant is at proper level, then run the engine at a decent RPM to speed up the heating of the engine. Keep feeling the upper radiator hose in the middle to know when the thermostat opens. Once that is done shut it down and let it cool, then make sure the coolant is at the proper level.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok I will try that. Does the system automatically expel air? Or is excess air pushed into the reservoir and replaced with coolant?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Need to replace heater core

JBSable did you ever get your gauges working? I need to replace my heater core as it has started leaking all over my carpet. I had a few questions for you on the replacement. First off, do you have to evacuate the A/C unit like my Haynes manual states? Secondly, you said it wasn't so bad, so how long did it take you to disassemble what sounds to be half the inside of the car? I am imagining its a bit pain staking. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
23,352 Posts
No need to discharge ac after the 95 model. Search: taurus heater core shortcut on youtube. Also google: macs-airsept. Click on the top (first pdf) and scroll down to: heater core repair tips.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JBSable did you ever get your gauges working? I need to replace my heater core as it has started leaking all over my carpet. I had a few questions for you on the replacement. First off, do you have to evacuate the A/C unit like my Haynes manual states? Secondly, you said it wasn't so bad, so how long did it take you to disassemble what sounds to be half the inside of the car? I am imagining its a bit pain staking. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Also what sheila said...no need to discharge. I've found that Haynes doesn't quite cover everything properly. The shortcut...well for me it was not removing the entire instrument panel (aka dash). Once you get enough stuff out of the way (I think only the steering column presents the issue), unscrewing the side screws and the top screws at the base of the windshield is sufficient enough. From there you can jostle the dash out of place and probably be able to reach the core from the floor. The entire process probably took about 4 hours or so since we were able to get the dash loose w/o taking the whole thing out. Patience is key and just follow the manual. Make sure that you keep track of parts and their screws! Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts