Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just replaced my headgaskets that was a fun job!

anyways got it all buttoned up and started it up have a slight rotten egg smell and also took the car for a drive and under hard accelleration it cuts out at 4-5k.

i just replaced the spark plugs and made sure the wires all all seated properly on both ends. any opinions of stuff to check???

everything is connected and nothing leaking

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
sounds like bad catalytic converters to me...

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
^+1 Blown headgasket = coolant in exhaust stream = fouled cats.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Rotten egg smell out exhaust is a dead ringer for a bad cat, sounds like it's causing airflow restriction, killing your high rpm. I bet the lack of power gets worse the longer it runs? Burnt ethelyene glycol can leave some nasty black and ashy deposits behind. Pull the pipe, clean up the cats, get you money for the platinum and it might cover half the cost of a whole new Y assy.... but don't bother trying to clean em out IMO. And don't get overzealous and for get you have to pass emissions next year... unless you live in a nice state like TN who doesn't even have inspections :D

Someone should have had the foresight to have have Halmark write up a "Sorry about your head gasket" card.........

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
Test for plugged cats: Loosen both ends of the Y pipe where it connects to the exhaust manifolds so it hangs down 1/2" to 3/4" or so. Drive car. It will be LOUD and likely produce some DTCs, but ignore these. If it runs much better at high RPM, then the cats are plugged.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rotten egg smell out exhaust is a dead ringer for a bad cat, sounds like it's causing airflow restriction, killing your high rpm. I bet the lack of power gets worse the longer it runs? Burnt ethelyene glycol can leave some nasty black and ashy deposits behind. Pull the pipe, clean up the cats, get you money for the platinum and it might cover half the cost of a whole new Y assy.... but don't bother trying to clean em out IMO. And don't get overzealous and for get you have to pass emissions next year... unless you live in a nice state like TN who doesn't even have inspections :D

Someone should have had the foresight to have have Halmark write up a "Sorry about your head gasket" card.........

clean up the cats such as gutting them :D

also would this cause the somewhat slight rough idle exhaust note?

also yeah i was getting some bad black soot from the pipe before i changed the head gaskets out.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
If you didn't change the 02 sensors then they're a prime suspect. Fouling of the sensor surface occurs when it's exposed to phosphates from the coolant. I would change them both before condemning the catalytic converters. A rich condition will also cause the rotten egg smell, which occurs of the sensors are fouled.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
tried some other 02's i had sitting around i changed the one behind the intake manifold and and that seemed to make the egg smell go aways but still seems as if cat is plugged since i ran car for about 30 minutes and went for a test drive or 2 and on the 2nd test drive, the car really jerked and sputtered in the 3k up rpm range.

as chris said the warmer it gets the worse it ran.

took some temps on the cats and the big main car on the bottom of the car was over 300 degrees where as the smaller ones were only in low 200 range.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
You can check engine vacuum to determine plugged exhaust. The motor should provide 15-20 inHg at idle. If it decreases slowly over time and reacts very slowly when the throttle is snapped, then yes you have a blockage. I would also check fuel trims and fuel pressure with a scantool. Catalytic convterters are expensive and a pain to replce, always a last resort for me.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I Just finished the Timing cover on my 00 FFV Vulcan and it's cutting out at 3800-4000 RPM it doesn't matter what gear it's in but it has to be full throttle for it to do it. I was looking around in mitchell and found that it could be the CKP sensor (Crank Position sensor) that causes the issue. Just thought that might be part of the "Cutting out" issue with your vehicle. I don't have the rotten egg smell and the car runs GREAT untill I get to that RPM range. I'll replace my sensor and get back to you guys to let you know if it solved the issue, the car did not do this before I did the timing cover and that was the only sensor that I removed (And I cleaned the junk off of it) which may have caused the sensor to malfunction.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
sweet let me know, also where is the crank sensor on these?? i dont think i tore it down that far to get into the crank sensor thought

·
Registered
430 Posts
Don't know what your original problem was but if you are using the same plugs they could be fouled. Might try another set.

Ed

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
sweet let me know, also where is the crank sensor on these?? i dont think i tore it down that far to get into the crank sensor thought

It's on the Timing cover on a Vulcan just below and to the left of the water pump, I'm not sure on a Tec. someone please assist :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's on the Timing cover on a Vulcan just below and to the left of the water pump, I'm not sure on a Tec. someone please assist :)
i have the same motor as you just an 02

i could have maybe hit that when i was getting off the bracket for the power steering will look again

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
i have the same motor as you just an 02

i could have maybe hit that when i was getting off the bracket for the power steering will look again
Well that makes it easier, here is a picture...

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Update,

I installed a new Crank postion sensor and the problem is GONE !! No rough shifting, no idle stumble, No long crank start-ups, no pinging under light throttle and no Cut out at full throttke at 4,000 RPM. I compared the new sensor to the old one and the Permanent magnet was weak causing the sensor to send fales data to the ECU. PROBLEM SOLVED !! :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts