Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Replaced dash lights now tach sticks

So i finally got around to replacing all 5 bulbs behind my dash in my 99 Taurus, now i can see everything in the dark again. I reassembled everything and when i went on a drive i noticed my tach is sticking a little bit. I may have turned it all the way past 6k rpm by hand when i bumped it against something but i spun it slowly back to the dead stop below 0 rpm when i was doing the bulbs, could this have damaged it now? Maybe i simply tightened something too much?

Is there a way to reset it? It still works, but its like it sticks a little. It won't read much below 1500rpm and if i accelerate with more RPM it jumps to the higher RPM but then takes a second or two to fall a little at a time instead of falling with the actual RPM like its supposed to.

I hope i gave enough information to diagnose this problem and hopefully correct it.

EDIT: Just noticed i titled the thread wrong, its the TACH that is sticking! The speedo appears to be working from what i can tell.

·
Super Moderator
8,863 Posts
Any chance you bent the needle in or out a little and it is catching on the bezel? I have seen this happen. I have twisted speedos and tachs way beyond their maximum intended range and the worked perfectly afterward.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any chance you bent the needle in or out a little and it is catching on the bezel? I have seen this happen. I have twisted speedos and tachs way beyond their maximum intended range and the worked perfectly afterward.

That might be the case, but taking the whole shabang apart to confirm is not worth it to me at this time, maybe later..... The tach still works, its just almost like it is lagging behind in all readings by a second or so.

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
I bet you pushed the need to far in...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.