Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all a big thank you to this forum for the tips on replacing the a/c clutch, absolutely invaluable. I ended up dropping the subframe to get at that ******* snap ring. When I got everything back together and started the engine, it ran rough and the brakes didn't work! I found a disconnected vacuum line and reconnected and that fixed the brakes and some of the roughness. However it still didn't run good at all and threw a p301 code. Acceleration is poor and it idles pretty rough. Could this be another vacuum line that I have missed or is it more likely to be a plug/coil issue?

Thanks, Mark.

·
Registered
23,350 Posts
I would suspect plug, wire or coil in that order unless you disturbed something back by #1 cyl. How did it run before the ac repair?

·
Registered
21 Posts
It's already been stated, but you obviously have a misfire on cylinder 1. I would check the wire, plug and if you had to disconnect any other plug wires, make sure they're wired in the right sequence.

When i replaced my plugs (2006 taurus SE 3.0), wires and coil, the cylinder order on the coil perplexed me for a second. Here is the correct layout of both the coil and cylinders:

cylinders:

(firewall)
1-2-3
4-5-6
(radiator)

Coil:

(firewall)
1-2-3
5-6-4
(radiator)

I'm not sure why the coil is wired the way it is. I've always seen sequential numbers on the coil, for the most part, but the front bank is kinda weird.

This means that 1 and 5 share a coil, 2 and 6 share one and 3 and 4 share one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, thanks for that info, I actually replaced the plugs/wires a while ago due to a p303 code (it didn't clear the code, but it went away when I turned the a/c off). I'll double check to see if they are on correctly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I replaced the coil pack tonight. Runnning sweet again!! There were a couple of cracks in the old coil pack. Thanks to all who helped.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts