Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thoughts on replacing tranny fluid through dipstick?

I have a special pump/bucket/tubing I use to drain engine oil from my boat. Why can't I use on my transmission?

At about 50K miles I took to dealership to have tranmission fluid changed along with filter (this was not a flush). Charged me $150. Bill included 6qts fluid (Mercon V) and filter. Book says capacity is l3.x

My thinking is I can do this myself each year. Yes, I know I am not replacing the filter.

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
This should work OK. At least it's less messy than dropping the pan.

I have a tip for those who do the "Drop-the-pan" method. Get one of those big plastic under-the-bed storage containers from Target or Wally World or wherever and use that to catch the fluid when you remove the trans pan. Much better coverage than a conventional drain pan and it will hold all the fluid.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Does anyone recycle the fluid (like VIOC does with motor oil)? If not, what do you do with it after you dump it???

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
If you have a local oil recycling program you can put it in a container and take it in for recycling like engine oil.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I used a hand pump to replace 4 quarts in the Windstar. It's a pain in the ass, but I eventually got it done.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Originally posted by drmurdoc@Sep 23 2004, 03:21 PM
Thoughts on replacing tranny fluid through dipstick?

I have a special pump/bucket/tubing I use to drain engine oil from my boat. Why can't I use on my transmission?

At about 50K miles I took to dealership to have tranmission fluid changed along with filter (this was not a flush). Charged me $150. Bill included 6qts fluid (Mercon V) and filter. Book says capacity is l3.x

My thinking is I can do this myself each year. Yes, I know I am not replacing the filter.
$150 sounds high just to do the standard transmission service. My local dealerships charge that regularly for a BG transmission flush. Not knowing where you're at, but I just got my tranny flushed at Koons Ford in northern Virginia for about $95 with tax...The good thing is that the powerflush should do a better job than we could do just draining the fluid out or pushing it out with the engine running or whatever, and you don't have to worry about the mess...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts