Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys just wandering if anyone has replaced the torque converter in an AX4N tranny in a 97 taurus before and if anyone has any advice or maybe a walkthrough on how to go about it.
thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Hey guys just wandering if anyone has replaced the torque converter in an AX4N tranny in a 97 taurus before and if anyone has any advice or maybe a walkthrough on how to go about it.
thanks in advance.
It is a big task!! You need special tools and some good way to get the car up in the air at least 2-3 feet. If you have other transportation that would be good. I have never seen anyone do it on there own easily yet and I have helped on a couple!!
Go to a good independent tranny shop. You will be $$ ahead!! :lol2:

·
Registered
997 Posts
^ ditto to that.
As well...I'm somewhat surprised SHOsource hasn't said anything yet, but on the site they have torque converters. From stock replacement to performance, all lighter than oem. Save a bit more money and all you'll pay for is labor at a shop.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2000 Merc Sable/Taurus has the AX4N, and I had to replace the front seal which damaged the snout of my torque converter by making a tiny little grove in it's snout resulting in a leak. Otherwise the transmission worked perfectly. $12 for a seal and $100 for torque converter, plus a whole bunch $'s for other parts like hoses and vacuum lines you'll replace just because it's really difficult to get later on.

As mentioned it's a nightmare for normal people that don't have professional equipment like a car lift and a 1st class transmission lift.

Ford designed the entire engine/transaxle to be supported and installed in the factory as a single assembly with a single carrier. When you drop the carrier everything wants to come out, but that is a huge pain to disconnect the entire engine from the "car".

So what they do is unbolt the transaxle from the engine and drop the transaxle from below with the carrier while still supporting the engine with some jury-rigged chains and braces. If your a Ford mech and have the right stuff it's better, but still a jury-rigged IMHO.

It can be done if you got the tools and some fairly large brass ones but it's not for the faint of heart.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I did the entire transmission myself including TC. Support bar is available from Harbor Freight. Support engine/trans,unbolt steering rack from subframe and tie up, subframe comes out, axles pull out, wires and lines disconnect , separate from engine and it comes down on a tranny jack. There are write ups here. It's not easy, but can be done. An extra person comes in handy too.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I did the entire transmission myself including TC. Support bar is available from Harbor Freight. Support engine/trans,unbolt steering rack from subframe and tie up, subframe comes out, axles pull out, wires and lines disconnect , separate from engine and it comes down on a tranny jack. There are write ups here. It's not easy, but can be done. An extra person comes in handy too.
I helped a friend this spring with a 96 Sable AX4S on a Duratec 24 valve. Took a day to get it in the air and all of the prep work started. Took most of a day to get the parts off and in an appropriate cleaning pile. Took two days to really get the tranny out, open and parts assessed, ordered and some planning over beer!!
A week later it was back together. It was a spare time and after hour job after we got the big part done. Needless to say, it was a lot of work without a hoist!!!!!!!!:wub:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys sounds like a big job. i have friends that will help and can probably get access to a hoist. might investigate some more first though.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
+ 20 on the hoist. I have dreams of one appearing in my shop some day!! With a hoist and the chorus of good friends you can pull it off. Just take your time and get it right!!! To much work for another disaster!! Just be safe, the stuff is heavy!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts