Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 98 Taurus with the 3.0 liter with 187k miles. I had a cousin to change the plugs an he asked me if I have had to added water to the coolant (and I have) he said one of the plugs looked like it had water on it. He said it is very labor intensive and he advised to sell while its running good. Anyway he acted as if was not worth repairing at this time and I should look into a newer vehcle. Thanks for any advice.

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
I have a 98 Taurus with the 3.0 liter with 187k miles. I had a cousin to change the plugs an he asked me if I have had to added water to the coolant (and I have) he said one of the plugs looked like it had water on it. He said it is very labor intensive and he advised to sell while its running good. Anyway he acted as if was not worth repairing at this time and I should look into a newer vehcle. Thanks for any advice.
...sigh

I really hate it when people say "yer car is ruined, time for a new one!" :lol2:

What cylinder did the plug come out of? Notice have any issues with the way it runs? Like missing, white smoke from the exhaust, overheating, puking from the coolant tank, etc...

Worse case would be a blown head gasket, and that's pretty common for a vulcan. Without posting a picture, or describing the plug, we have to take your cousins word for whether the plug looks like it was exposed to water in the cylinder. Do you know of any leaks that could explain the missing coolant? If you do, I would fix them right away and see what happens.

I would expect to pay somewhere around $1000 for a mechanic to fix it, but that's an uneducated guess, since I've never had a mechanic do a head job on a motor. I would think $400+ would be enough to do the job yourself, if you have the torque wrenches and toolset.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have had to add coolant about every 1,000 miles. He said the spark plug was the last one he removed on the back. The exact one I did not ask or did he say. He just said the plug had water on it and he said was fouled said probably caused by the water. Yes it has been missing. thanks

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
I have had to add coolant about every 1,000 miles. He said the spark plug was the last one he removed on the back. The exact one I did not ask or did he say. He just said the plug had water on it and he said was fouled said probably caused by the water. Yes it has been missing. thanks
If it was the rear cylinder, passenger side. I would guess head gasket. If it's missing, you must have a check engine light? Is there any milk like substance in the coolant? What about on the dipstick?

You probably have 3 options: sell the car (and fully disclose the issue), fix it yourself or hire a garage to do it.

If you do it yourself, you'll need a decent toolset, including a torque wrench. You have to pull both heads off, take them to a machine shop to have them inspected. After cleaning the block, check the block surface for flatness. Check the cylinder walls for wear. Buy a decent gasket set, two or three oil filters and a large bucket of cheap oil, and some antifreeze. If the oil has made its way into the rad, I would suggest taking to a shop for a flushing after fixing the heads. That's a basic head gasket job, you will want to buy a repair manual for the car if you intend to do it.

I might be jumping the gun, though. Did you overheat the car recently? :lol2:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its the 12 valve engine. On the overheat and it may be related. Seems like every winter I have to flush the coolant system to get heat. I did not do that this year. I just lived without heat. My cousin said that year on my Taurus was bad for that said there was a recall on that at one time. As for overheating it never did it would get high a little and I would just add more coolant that was every couple of months.

·
Registered
402 Posts
...sigh

I really hate it when people say "yer car is ruined, time for a new one!" :lol2:

What cylinder did the plug come out of? Notice have any issues with the way it runs? Like missing, white smoke from the exhaust, overheating, puking from the coolant tank, etc...

Worse case would be a blown head gasket, and that's pretty common for a vulcan. Without posting a picture, or describing the plug, we have to take your cousins word for whether the plug looks like it was exposed to water in the cylinder. Do you know of any leaks that could explain the missing coolant? If you do, I would fix them right away and see what happens.

I would expect to pay somewhere around $1000 for a mechanic to fix it, but that's an uneducated guess, since I've never had a mechanic do a head job on a motor. I would think $400+ would be enough to do the job yourself, if you have the torque wrenches and toolset.

400 sounds about right.

A rough breakdown for my head job...

$200 for machine shop work
$90 for Felpro gasket set (included head gaskets, exhaust manifold gaskets, EGR, IAC, intake and valve cover gaskets)
$5-$10 for a quick connect disconnect tool for the fuel rail
$25/box for new head bolts (Felpro)
Valve lapping tools for around $10

And then fluids and other miscellaneous stuff.

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
Its the 12 valve engine. On the overheat and it may be related. Seems like every winter I have to flush the coolant system to get heat. I did not do that this year. I just lived without heat. My cousin said that year on my Taurus was bad for that said there was a recall on that at one time. As for overheating it never did it would get high a little and I would just add more coolant that was every couple of months.
Yeah, that's a very common issue with these cars. You will likely want to replace the heater core.

Your cousin sounds pretty smart, you could offer him $200 and a two-four to come over one weekend and do the job for ya, you bring the parts. :lol2:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts