Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a ford taurus 2006, and i got Chirping issue, after searched online, I replaced the Camshaft synchronizer by myself. after that the chirping issue was gone. but my Sevice Engine light was turning on. and I get the OBD code:
p0340: Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction
P1336: Crankshaft sensor is out of sync with camshaft sensor test

I think, i didn't install new Camshaft synchronizer correctly.
I want ask a dealer fix that for me! but today is sunday. I am going to fix tomorrow. my question is:

1. Can i driver my car from my home to dealer.
2. Can they fix that for me. because I have took the original synchronizer out, is that difficult for dealer/mechanician to install a new one mach the original position?
3. how much Estimated?

I very worried, but no mechanician working today, hope i can get some answer here. Thanks.

·
Registered
1997 Ford Taurus 3.0L Wagon 226,362 miles
461 Posts
Take it to an independent mechanic. He'll probably only charge you one hour labor ($80?) to re-align your synchro. If he's close enough to your house he might even tow it in for free (to win a new customer).

Can you drive it like that? When I replaced MY synchro, I did everything right but it turned out that, due to age, my Taurus' harmonic balancer is now 90 degrees off the mark on the engine block! I drove it 30+ miles test driving it like this without damaging anything (that I know of). But no additional codes popped up on my computer (probably because I was only 90 degrees off). That 2nd code you're getting (P1336) seems like a warning that you're more than 90 degrees off - in which case, I probably wouldn't drive it like that.

But I'm not a mechanic and I could be wrong...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Colt Hero, Thanks for your reply, I already drove my car after I replaced 15 miles, I didn't realized that before. And I have to drive it to closest dealer tomorrow. approximately 2.5 miles.
In your cace? you didn't get any OBD code? is that correct? So you still find a mechanic re-align your synchro? how do you realized that you have to find some one re-align for you?
how can i get the harmonic balancer temperature? Thanks.

·
'MT5 Plus' Wagon Builder
1,235 Posts
If you turn the motor to this point on the crank sensor (dead center of missing tooth).

Then set your syncro to the place shown in the pic below. You will be fine to run the car to the shop. This is a '99 Sable, same syncro.

I set mine this same exact way, cleared the code and have had no problem in almost a month now. I used this to set my son's '99 sedan over a year ago with no issues. Good luck. :)

·
Premium Member
7,537 Posts
Yes, if you turn the engine so it is 80° BTDC #1 like major's picture (missing tooth just to the right of the the crank sensor), then the center of the syncro vane should be exactly 45° before the big gap (see the amended picture).

Most people install the syncro a few teeth off because they forget the shaft rotates as it's dropped down due to the curved gears. You have to turn it past where it should be before you drop the sensor so it lines up when it's all the way down.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
When I replaced mine I just bumped the starter until the synchro "tooth" was exactly in the middle between the gap on the synchro, then removed the old one and installed the new one in the exact same position. No allignment necissary, of course if you initially install it wrong and didn't allign it then your gonna need this to reset it.

Troy.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I know it is several years later now, but I followed the instructions to a T....or so I thought. But it is still throwing a P0340 code and the engine shudders as I am accelerating. I used the tool and dropped it down after backing it up and the tool arrow and the vane both lined up where I think it should be. I had it at TDC (center of the gap on the Crank balancer with pressure from #1 spark plug hole) and it still throws the code and shudders, as I said. Any recommendations?

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Cursory check of P0340 on internet indicates that it is related to the wiring or sensor. I have replaced camshaft synchronizer multiple times with no adverse effects. It is difficult to mess the alignment. I am pretty sure you did it right. Alignment may not be the problem.

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you turn the motor to this point on the crank sensor (dead center of missing tooth).

Then set your syncro to the place shown in the pic below. You will be fine to run the car to the shop. This is a '99 Sable, same syncro.

I set mine this same exact way, cleared the code and have had no problem in almost a month now. I used this to set my son's '99 sedan over a year ago with no issues. Good luck. :)
in this picture is the synchronizer all the way in or before?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yes, it is all the way in. Here is another picture taken under an angle:
View attachment 218875
BTW, the procedure to install the synchronizer is pretty clearly described in the Haynes manual (page 6-11).
Thank you, I will try it today, I hired a mechanic to do an overhaul of my Taurus 2002, he left me hanging with 1/2 the work he took the motor to the machine shop, after we got it back he only completed the crankshaft, piston rods and piston rings, I had to instal the heads and everything else, however, I'm struggling with the cam synchronizer. thank you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
After replacing my synchro couple years ago on a 04 I noticed less power and less miles on a full tank. On a full tank I would get easily over 300 miles and now it's like 250. Also think I pinched the metal fuel line coming out of firewall to engine while moving it. What I mean by pinching is like bending tubing but instead of a nice curve it ends up with a crease. When accelerating RPM's are higher as well.

This is from Ford Technical manual

CAUTION: Do not turn the crankshaft or the camshaft during the removal and installation procedure or the fuel system timing will be out of time with the engine and possibly cause engine damage.

No error codes have appeared, could it be the synchro is installed incorrectly or inadequate fuel reaching injectors? Any ideas...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts