Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Edit: When I first wrote this I thought it was the 02 sensors. But after some YouTube research (and noticing the code sheet says "reinstall air intake") I'm thinking it's an air leak now. Should I still replace the sensors, too?

Original:
Which 02 sensors would be the best for the job? AutoZone said use Bosch, but I read bad reviews on them. Got the catalytic converters replaced with aftermarket last year, just didn't do the sensors cos the mechanic at the time said it wasn't necessary; come to find it is. Also, misfires happen often despite the new converters and a spark plug change, so I'm thinking I might need to replace the coil, too. I'm big on DIY and have done a few repairs, like the starter, alternator, battery, spark plugs. . .etc. Is this something I can do myself or should I take it to a mechanic? Including some pics with current mileage and codes.

IMG_3090.JPG

·
Super Moderator
7,956 Posts
171/174 indicate a vacuum leak. LOTS of places for vacuum leaks..... PCV system, split / loose / disconnected vacuum hoses, etc.

Missfires could be caused by the vacuum leaks or by a bad coil pack. Remove coil pachk and inspect it for any cracks. If ANY cracks are found, replace coil pack with Motorcraft or BWD parts ONLY.

How old are the plugs and plug wires?

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
And misfires are the biggest cause of bad catalytic converters. On five Taurus I have owned and reached over 200k miles on each and never had a bad cat or bad O2 sensors. Vacuum leaks and bad spark are the root of your troubles. Start looking for a air leak in the area around the throttle body since all your cylinders are misfiring. On my 2006, I noticed a spot near the EGR inlet to the intake and the PCV hose was overheated and started to melt. If your cats were plugged they may have cause that area to overheat.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
171/174 indicate a vacuum leak. LOTS of places for vacuum leaks..... PCV system, split / loose / disconnected vacuum hoses, etc.

Missfires could be caused by the vacuum leaks or by a bad coil pack. Remove coil pachk and inspect it for any cracks. If ANY cracks are found, replace coil pack with Motorcraft or BWD parts ONLY.

How old are the plugs and plug wires?
I’m not sure how old the wires are. I bought the car in March 2018 from a guy selling it in his driveway. I then replaced the converters that summer, because the car was struggling to accelerate above 50mph. I know I replaced the spark plugs in October 2018, but am unsure about how many miles it was at at the time. Here’s a pic

edit: I looked at my old post about changing the spark plugs, and it was at 126,679 miles then.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wanted to ask, what do y'all think of using water to find a vacuum leak?

·
Registered
280 Posts
First things first: check your coil and plug wires with.........WATER! Spray water from a glass cleaner bottle while it's dark outside and listen for misfire and watch for sparks or glowing areas. Once you have corrected any issues, you can move on to vacuum leaks. Problem areas: PCV valve and hose, hoses along firewall, upper intake manifold to lower gaskets.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts