Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my upper intake manifold out of my car to clean the bad carbon deposits. While I had that off, I removed both of my valve covers to replace the gaskets. I cleaned both the valve covers and upper intake manifold with brake cleaner. When I put it all back together and ran my engine the car idled at 1500 RPM. So I rechecked all the vacuum lines and connections and they are all alright. My next suspect would be that the gasket between the upper and lower intake manifold is leaking. What do you think? Also, near the back valve cover it sounds like something is being chewed now. I can't figure out what that is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
David

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Whenever you take off the intake, you should replace the gasket with a new one, same for the valve covers. Your probably right about the intake leaking.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (austex04 @ Mar 18 2009, 06:42 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=709915
Whenever you take off the intake, you should replace the gasket with a new one, same for the valve covers. Your probably right about the intake leaking.[/b]
I meant to say that I replaced them with all new gaskets.

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
Spray some carb cleaner around and listen for changes in the idle. It helps narrow it down.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
QUOTE (00tec-saTX @ Mar 18 2009, 09:41 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=709965
Spray some carb cleaner around and listen for changes in the idle. It helps narrow it down.[/b]
I sprayed my vacuum lines and the gasket between the lower and upper intake manifolds. I still saw no changes in the engine idle. This is confusing the crap out of me. :dunno:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts