Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so the exterior of my '95 SE has seen better days, and I'm planning a long-term reconditioning. One of the things that I'm kinda stuck on is the "TAURUS SE" emblem on the front driver and passenger door body cladding. It's about 75% rubbed off on my passenger side and just about totally gone on the driver's side (I have no idea how it got this bad... car washes?).

So I noticed that the font is identical to that of the center caps of my wheel covers (I have the two-piece 8-hole covers on black steel wheels), so I did a pencil rubbing and penned the outline, so as soon as I scan this and reduce it (the printed emblem is a *bit* scaled down from the wheel caps), I'll have the makings of a decent stencil to re-paint the "TAURUS" part.

Aha, now the catch.... the "SE" part... Anyone have a digital (or even a tracing or rubbing) of this? Not the easiest thing to find. I could kludge it, but I'd like it to match 100% stock. Maybe I can find another SE around town and bring some tracing paper while they're not looking. =)

Here's a pic (not my car) of the area I'm talking about:
http://www.istolethisdomain.com/taurus_se.jpg' alt='' width='640' height='480' class='attach' />[/url]

Anyone ever done this before? Any ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

- Jon Heese

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
Have one of theos places that makes vinyl graphics cut up a set for you. Maybe a sharp photo of the nameplate will be a good enough pattern for them to scan.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not a bad idea, although I am trying to keep costs as close to $0 as possible.

Also, the main problem is that I don't *have* a close-up shot of the nameplate, otherwise I could pretty easily transfer it and make a stencil. Anyone have one?

Any other ideas?

- Jon Heese

·
Registered
187 Posts
why keep em? has anybody here actually removed those things altogether. the body cladding? i'm wanting to because mine are stained dirty and it wont come off for nothing.

·
Premium Member
4,180 Posts
i was thinkin off takin the "taurus se" part off mine. i have some cooler ideas where to write it. and as far as removing the side trim. a member back in the day did that to thier white g2. looked good, but remember u have to fill in the holes behind it.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Let me start out by thanking those who suggested ideas. They've gotten me thinking about a couple things, and that's good.

However, no hard feelings, but I guess I'm in the minority here, as one who likes their Taurus to look stock...

To put it simply, my goal is for my car to look like it could have rolled off the assembly line in its present form, but with little flairs that set it apart from any car that actually *did* roll off the assembly line (i.e. white w/black accent stock wheel covers, white trim emblem, clear corners, etc.).

I respect everyone's right to dress their own vehicle how they like, and I do appreciate the suggestions for mine. Unfortunately, they're just not what I'm looking for. To each his own, and keep the suggestions coming! =)

- Jon Heese

·
Registered
107 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Originally posted by jonheese@Oct 21 2004, 12:28 PM
Let me start out by thanking those who suggested ideas. They've gotten me thinking about a couple things, and that's good.

However, no hard feelings, but I guess I'm in the minority here, as one who likes their Taurus to look stock...

To put it simply, my goal is for my car to look like it could have rolled off the assembly line in its present form, but with little flairs that set it apart from any car that actually *did* roll off the assembly line (i.e. white w/black accent stock wheel covers, white trim emblem, clear corners, etc.).

I respect everyone's right to dress their own vehicle how they like, and I do appreciate the suggestions for mine. Unfortunately, they're just not what I'm looking for. To each his own, and keep the suggestions coming! =)

- Jon Heese
A good, clean, stock SE bull > 90% of the "modded y0" cars on this site.

Keep it clean. There is a font that very closely matches the Taurus font, but I don't have it. At my old job we had a CD loaded with all the emblems from cars, it had the first three Taurus gens on it. Try asking a vinyl shop if they can get you a copy of the font, or if they can just print a copy or two of it and make a stencil from that.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ah, you bring up a good point, TrueBlue:

There are actually 2 (at least) different "Taurus" fonts on the car:

1. The main one on the wheel covers, body cladding, trunk emblem (easy to identify with slanted leading stick on the "A" and curved top leading edge on parts of some letters), body cladding < wheel caps < trunk logo.
2. The one on the passenger-side dash insert punctuated by 3 horizontal breaks (lines) running the length of the word. This is the same font used in the "SHO" version of this insert and the small "STEREO" (or "PREMIUM", as the case may be) on the front door speaker grilles. This font has a vertical leading stick on the "A".

The font that is usually used to approximate the "Taurus" font is called Earth (http://www.grsites.com/modperl/fontview.cgi?dir=e&fn=EARTH) and while it's a decent mix of the two "official" fonts for something like a third brake light mask stencil, it obviously doesn't quite cut the mustard when I'm looking for an exact match...

I hope that this was not the font that you were thinking of...

I will check with some vinyl shops to see if they have a real "official" Tauurs font though. Thanks for the info!

- Jon Heese

·
Registered
233 Posts
I think the factory lettering is just a vinyl, as mine is starting to peal on my passenger side :-(

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, the stock material is a vinyl-ish decal..

FordPartsNetwork.com lists the part new for GL's at $22.something, but no listing for SE. I emailed Torrie (owner) and he said that he doesn't even show a listing for SE decals for Gen2s... hmm

Not sure I wanted to pay $44 for them anyway. Stealership might be able to order them, but I would expect to pay even more than FPN, so I'm not gonna worry about that for now.

I'll keep this thread updated with what I end up doing, in case anyone's following along or interested after the fact.

- Jon

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Please do, I've been wondering about that for a while. Also keep in mind that stock cars can win COTM, so post some pics.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts