Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, I've been keeping an eye on a SHO that's up for sale on eBay and think I have a pretty good chance of sniping it as long as the price doesn't go past my limits. Thing is, my parents have made abundantly clear that there is no way they're letting me get another car as long as my SLO is still kicking. You would think at 22, I'd be able to spend the money I've earned and saved without permission but . . . oh well, that's besides the point.

Anyway, the only way I can pull this off if I win is to find a place to keep the SHO away from home. I had originally planned on renting a spot from one of the numerous public storage spots near here but found out today, after I called a few, that a car needs to be insured and registered before they'll allow you to rent a parking spot. And as if that wasn't bad enough, most of them want you to have liability insurance of no less than $1 million. The only reason I can think of why it would be that high would be to cover the cost of any damages should your car spontaneously combust, setting off a chain reaction that levels a whole wing of the parking complex . . . but what do I know? The point is moot anyway because just buying the SHO will drain my finances so that I won't be able to afford insurance or register it for at least a couple of months (hence the need to find a place to park it). So, within the next 8 hours (when the auction ends) I've got to try to find a place to park it. If I can't, well, no SHO for me.

I figured I can start calling some of the nearby apartment complexes (within running distance) and ask if they'd be willing to rent out a parking space, but besides that I'm stumped. Anyone got any ideas?

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Originally posted by Xee@Mar 3 2004, 01:54 PM
Long story short, I've been keeping an eye on a SHO that's up for sale on eBay and think I have a pretty good chance of sniping it as long as the price doesn't go past my limits. Thing is, my parents have made abundantly clear that there is no way they're letting me get another car as long as my SLO is still kicking. You would think at 22, I'd be able to spend the money I've earned and saved without permission but . . . oh well, that's besides the point.

Anyway, the only way I can pull this off if I win is to find a place to keep the SHO away from home. I had originally planned on renting a spot from one of the numerous public storage spots near here but found out today, after I called a few, that a car needs to be insured and registered before they'll allow you to rent a parking spot. And as if that wasn't bad enough, most of them want you to have liability insurance of no less than $1 million. The only reason I can think of why it would be that high would be to cover the cost of any damages should your car spontaneously combust, setting off a chain reaction that levels a whole wing of the parking complex . . . but what do I know? The point is moot anyway because just buying the SHO will drain my finances so that I won't be able to afford insurance or register it for at least a couple of months (hence the need to find a place to park it). So, within the next 8 hours (when the auction ends) I've got to try to find a place to park it. If I can't, well, no SHO for me.

I figured I can start calling some of the nearby apartment complexes (within running distance) and ask if they'd be willing to rent out a parking space, but besides that I'm stumped. Anyone got any ideas?
Hmmmmmmm, If you have any relatives in the area I would check with them.

My grandma has a 2 car garage, and one side is unoccupied. If i did what you did, the sho would be going there for awhile.

-DC

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by duratecchie@Mar 3 2004, 11:56 AM
Hmmmmmmm, If you have any relatives in the area I would check with them.

My grandma has a 2 car garage, and one side is unoccupied.  If i did what you did, the sho would be going there for awhile.

-DC
The nearest relative is 13 miles away (my uncle). Plus, he's sympathetic to my parents side of the argument and would rat me out in an instant if I so much as approached him about it.

N

·
0 Posts
rent out a spot at boat and rv storage places or a mini storage. I know a few people that store their classics at mini storage places, and i think they might be reasonably priced.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by NIGHT_RIDER@Mar 3 2004, 12:37 PM
rent out a spot at boat and rv storage places or a mini storage. I know a few people that store their classics at mini storage places, and i think they might be reasonably priced.
See above. AFAIK, they all require your car to be insured and registered.

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
Well you can also ask if they have a grace period of some sort where you can get the papers ready and park there at the same time (it might be like 1-2 weeks after you start renting it or something). I mean, people who buy cars they intend to keep in storage for an indefinite amount of time usually need some time to have the title, registration, and all that transferred over to them when they have the car already on hand, so there has to be something like that.
Some places are lenient enough, or have kind enough management where they can do that.

Good luck though, I was thinking of buying another car w/o the family's consent some time ago as well

·
Registered
350 Posts
Zoran, The Taurus will be towed out of here next week. If you need a temporary storage place, the space is open. Hell, my parents can only dis-own me once, right?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts