Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. Our Sable has the original struts in it when it was made in 2000. Im having the worst time to get the strut out because of its length. My question, if I lower the side of the sub frame that im working on only, does that give me enough clearance to pull out the strut? Its the only thing that makes sense to do. Ive tried everything else. Any suggestions, i would be most grateful. Thanks everyone. Matt.
Car Automotive parking light Wheel Land vehicle Automotive side marker light
Car Automotive parking light Wheel Land vehicle Automotive side marker light

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
I have dropped the sub for struts on '03 Taurus, and in the pic, drop for Alt in DOHC sedan.
No issues. I used a floor jack under to lower the sub after removing the bolts.
Best of luck and share your pics. Nice looking wagon.
I had a spring break and had a local shop replace the struts, as mid winter and I had no place to work. Guy put in Monroe ready struts, and it made the front 1.5" too high.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 Taurus SES 12v
775 Posts
In stead of lowering the subframe, you can also disassemble the suspension a bit further:
  • Take the long bolt out of the bushing of the control arm. Now the control arm can move further down.
  • With one foot on the control arm, lift the knuckle with both hands and pull the ball-joint stud sideways out of the control arm.
  • Pull (or hammer) the knuckle off the strut.
The second step cannot be made in reverse, so when installing the new strut you make use of the fact that the bottom of the strut is rounded:
  • Put the knuckle back on the control arm by pushing the ball-joint stud in the hole in the control arm.
  • Push the control arm down and wriggle the bottom of the strut into the knuckle.
  • Put a jack underneath the big hole in the control arm and step by step lift the control arm until you can align the bushing with the subframe and push in the long bolt,

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have dropped the sub for struts on '03 Taurus, and in the pic, drop for Alt in DOHC sedan.
I had a spring break and had a local shop replace the struts, as mid winter and I had no place to work. Guy put in Monroe ready struts, and it made the front 1.5" too high.
-chart-
Thanks for the great info! We didnt realize that the original strut is a few inches longer in length than the replacement oem struts we ordered. This Sable hasnt had any suspension work done to it ever... but you would think it had the way it rides. We gave up for tonight but going to go back and finish it up in the morning. My partner had more muscle than i did breaking those bolts loose...21yrs of never been loosen. Ugh! :D
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Bumper Gas

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Car

Automotive tire Gas Thigh Auto part Automotive wheel system

Tire Bicycle tire Automotive tire Hood Tread

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Fender Rim Gas

Automotive tire Hood Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Gas

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had a spring break and had a local shop replace the struts, as mid winter and I had
You're lucky...try working on suspensions up here in the Rust Belt. I went with the method Architect described as I didn't want to risk breaking loose the blind subframe nuts due to rust.
Yea, I was already planning on trying to do what Architect mentioned. I'll let you know by the end of the night tomorrow on the outcome, that is if i dont loose my cool and throw something heavy at this car! Lol...kidding.

place to work. Guy put in Monroe ready struts, and it made the front 1.5" too high.
-chart-
That's a nice Sable of yours too...looks way cold there....i dont miss that weather!! LOL!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
-chart-
If owner was not, original purchaser of wagon, struts could have been changed by dealer, at some point. For DOHC alternator removal, after unbolting it, just lower it and turn it around, for removal. No suspension work needed!!

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
If owner was not, original purchaser of wagon, struts could have been changed by dealer, at some point. For DOHC alternator removal, after unbolting it, just lower it and turn it around, for removal. No suspension work needed!!
I have not been able to remove an Alt that way. I have done 4 on G-4 Bulls.
Done enough to keep a pic of how I put it back in. Tape holds the long bolt in place so it does not fall out.
Parachute cord to pull the alt up in place. Take the big wire out with the Alt and put it on before reinstall.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
Different lengths of struts when full out position is normal. There are 2 methods of limiting travel outward. One is a spring and that makes longer fee length. Other is rubber bumpers and that makes it shorter. My last one ('03 Tautus) OE parts put back in. Exact same length. I had a shop do my '03 wagon due to broken spring. They used Monroe and it made the ride height 1.5" higher than spec.
-chart-

·
Registered
11 Posts
I replaced the struts on my 2001 taurus wagon a few years ago and also had trouble getting the strut out. If I remember it only need another 1.5 to one inch to come out and I finally just got a small piece of wood and used my floor jack to push it out of the steering Knuckle. I think the replacement quick strut went in without too much effort.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts