Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I know you probably get this question a lot but I'm lost. I'm trying to remove the front bumper of my 94 Taurus GL. I got the front brackets off that attach to the radiator support just fine. The problem is inside the sides. There's a bolt (looks like a headless screw) with a clip that is holding the bumper and fender to the metal frame. I went at it with a 5.5mm wrench, it caught at first but then started to strip it. I see above it on the metal frame two bolts that would release the bumper from the frame, but then it would still be attached to the fender (which I'm trying not to replace). I thought about trying to rip off the plastic part that is attached to the bumper and the screw, but part of it appears melted to the bumper.

Am I missing something? I have an 86-94 Taurus and Sable Hayne's manual, but the pictures and description aren't matching what I'm seeing. The websites I looked at didn't mention the sides. I even found a really good post by Rudedog on the forums on removing the bumpers on a 94 Taurus, but no mention of the sides. I'm sure there's something really simple I'm missing but I'm stuck.

In the meantime everything else is going swimmingly with the body work. The hood's off and I can really poke around in there, it's great, and see everything from underneath too :)

I sprayed the bolt with bolt loosener and I'm calling it a night, but hoping to get this bumper off tomorrow. Any advice or experience would really help. I'm about to take a saw to the thing.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
An S-10 traveling at 65mph worked prety good for me...

There is a kinda clip thing on each side of the bumper but if you took the bumper mounts off there isn't much more

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
Unbolt the bumpers from the brackets at the front of the car, then slide the bumper forward. The sides just slide on over the heads of those bolts in the fenders.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Woot! Thanks! I knew it was something simple I was missing. Tend to overthink things.

That made my day. Taurus club to the rescue!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And here she is now, all ready for her new parts. Which I still have to pick up. But soon, she will be a slightly two-tone taurus, silver and powder blue, and all fixed up and ready to go. And I can drive her again! Yay!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts