Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to order me a new shifter for my 97 tauri and then I was going to put the overdrive switch somewhere close to where the gear indicater is.. But what I need to know is how to take the current shifter off...cause I have no idea... my friend says there is a button you have to push and the whole things comes off, but he can't find it... So I figured I would ask the experts..

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I have no clue how to get a Gen III shifter handle off. I know that on my old Topaz, all I needed to do was push the button in and pull off/turn. The Taurus handles might be held on completely differently though. Buy a Chiltons or a Haynes manual...that would be your best bet.

JR

·
Premium Supporter
1,162 Posts
Okay, heres what you do!

You will see a little cylinder at the bottom of your shifter knob. It's black, it goes from the (PRND21) housing all the way up to the base of the shifter. It's round, obiously. Pull DOWN twards the floor of the car on the black piece. Pull REALLLLLLLLY hard until it pushes down. You will see two Torox screws. Remove each. I believe the Torox screw driver you need is a 20. DO NOT try to take them off with a phillips or anything else. I tried and it DOESNT work. You will just mess up the screws!

After your remove the screws, put your finger OVER the button that you push to shift. If you dont it will fly off. There is a spring inside. You want to make sure you dont loose anything.

If you are interested I have a shifter knob for sale that already has the O/D off button installed. All you need to do is wire it up instead of having to put the button nearby somewhere. It's how they came stock when they had the O/D off button.

E-mail me at [email protected] if you have any other questions or if you want the knob I have for sale.

-Kyle

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Originally posted by kjw86ca@Jun 7 2004, 01:22 PM

After your remove the screws, put your finger OVER the button that you push to shift. If you dont it will fly off. There is a spring inside. You want to make sure you dont loose anything.
Yep. Took mine off Monday and didn't see the spring go flying off. I gotta get a magnet and see if I can find it.

-Jeff

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
http://www.andysautosport.com/ford/96-03ta...shiftknobs.html

04-111

This is the style that I want on my car, as long as it's a gunmetal... I'm hoping to get gunmetal rims later on this it will fit with my black and lime green scheme going with my car...

will this fit on our car or am I going to have to order it to see...

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Speedy , why don't you call that place and see if they have a way to possibly wire up the center of their KNOB, that way it would be self contained. much cleaner install!!!!!!

·
Registered
478 Posts
Originally posted by Speedy@Jun 11 2004, 12:09 AM
the crazy people on this site...I love all of you...

:07:
haha....u love a guy <_<(JK) .....(and some girls :eek:).....sorry...im just in a goofy mood right now...... ;)

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
You need to remove the shifter and measure the shaft diameter. I tried to install a shifter my Bro-in-law had (generice aftermarket Pepboys handle) but it was 5/8" and the shifter is about 3/4".(At least on the '04)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts