Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question...if i remove the Intake Silencer Cone out of my Gen2 3.8 is it possible to put it back in?

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Sure. Just don't use the "hacksaw" method.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is the hacksaw method...i was gonna use the one posted by AdamB...its on the main page...oh yeah how much will this affect my Gas Mileage?

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
That method is fine... some people just saw off all the piping inside the fender, which makes it irreversible.

Actual mileage gains are the same as HP gains, which is approximately zero, give or take next to nothing. However, you will hear that you have better mileage and more HP.

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
So, when removed, you can tell a difference in the sound of the car?

thanks
adam

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Originally posted by 97vulcan@Feb 3 2004, 06:06 PM

thanks
adam
Sure... it will have a bit more growl to it when you floor it. If you swap your paper filter for a K&N, it will get louder too.

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Originally posted by SixFoFalcon+Feb 3 2004, 06:53 PM-->QUOTE (SixFoFalcon @ Feb 3 2004, 06:53 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-97vulcan
@Feb 3 2004, 06:06 PM

thanks
adam
Sure... it will have a bit more growl to it when you floor it. If you swap your paper filter for a K&N, it will get louder too. [/b]
And if you like that sound, switch to a cone filter. The sound of a Vulcan with a K&N cone from 2500-3000 RPM's is simply amazing.
Believe me, it's worth it.

·
Registered
249 Posts
How hard is it to remove the silencer cone on a gen 3 without cutting it off? The only way I can do it is if it's reversible or my father won't let me. Grr...

·
Registered
175 Posts
I just cut mine off today. (yay me)

I was using the draxis maf adapter and a 6" cone filter (about $20 cheaper than their 'short ram'
) with all the original silencer piping. It sounded great (when the secondaries open up i almost wanna start screaming along with em). I just removed the air box, the cone filter would be pressed against the tube coming out the fenderwell.

Aside from the drawbacks of a 'hot air intake' it worked and when i had to take it in for some extended warrenty service, i'd just slap the stock air box back in.

I cut the silencer because i'm too lazy to keep swapping it back and forth, and with a k&n it's probably better than a hot air set-up. With the tube that runs from the fenderwell to the air box inplace, you can't see that the silencer has been removed (unless you actually look into the fenderwell, which isn't too easy).

Just cut it and don't tell your dad! If he says anything about it being louder, just play dumb.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Originally posted by 97GreenStreak3.0@Feb 4 2004, 04:15 PM
To take it off of a GenIII, you have to cut it off, no way getting around that. GenIV's on the otherhand do have silencers that are removable without cutting it up. Sorry.
Not true. I didn't cut a thing. The whole intake tube is just pressed into the airbox. Just give the box a nice firm tug (after unbolting it from the engine compartment) and it will seperate from the intake tube. Then you just unbolt the tube from the fender and remove it. To retain the CAI effect, run some 3" tubing from the airbox through the fender hole.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Originally posted by 97GreenStreak3.0@Feb 4 2004, 04:15 PM
To take it off of a GenIII, you have to cut it off, no way getting around that. GenIV's on the otherhand do have silencers that are removable without cutting it up. Sorry.
The only thing i have to say to this and that goes for anything else that u would want to remove off any car if the factory put it on then there is a way to get it off without "cutting" it or removing it other then the intended way it should always be reversible!!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Originally posted by SixFoFalcon@Feb 7 2004, 01:13 PM
I didn't cut a thing. The whole intake tube is just pressed into the airbox. Just give the box a nice firm tug (after unbolting it from the engine compartment) and it will seperate from the intake tube. Then you just unbolt the tube from the fender and remove it. To retain the CAI effect, run some 3" tubing from the airbox through the fender hole.
So it is possible to remove the silencer on a Gen III without cutting anything? Can anyone else corroborate that?

Pax,
Matthew

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ok so the silencer on a gen 1 is in the fenderwell area or in the airbox cover? im confused i donno if i got one er not

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
ha. I have a genIII, and I just took out the rain shield from the driver side, and pulled the whole thing out. Hopefully its easy to re-install :p

Adam

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Originally posted by Darkandroid90Vulcan@Mar 3 2004, 09:12 PM
Ok so the silencer on a gen 1 is in the fenderwell area or in the airbox cover? im confused i donno if i got one er not
It's in the airbox lid if you have a 3.8L. It's the cone connecting the airbox tot he fender if you have the 3.0L.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts