Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, me again. You've read my other posts about tapping the high beams lead for a relay. Well I'm finally going to put those damned lights on. Last time I tried I failed miserably because I didnt know what the crap I was doing. :lol2: Well I need help taking that front bumper off so I can Mount or fabricate a mount for my Driving lamps. (these will be in the Grill) Thanks Mucho :)

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Not too hard, you'll need some odd sized sockets for the air dam portion, but besides that easy.

1.) Open hood
2.) Theres 5 bolts along the front there, 10mm IIRC
3.) Remove headlights, 3 10mm bolts and 1 10mm pinch bolt
4.) Remove the screw under the headlight on the side, 8mm IIRC
5.) Look down to the side behind where that screw was, theres another one down there. Grab an extension for the ratchet, 8mm IIRC
6.) Go under the car, along the bumper and air dam theres a bunch of small ones, 6mm IIRC
7.) Jack the car up, and remove the front tires
8.) Remove the plastic fender well crud, phillips screws, 2 or 3 maybe 4 IIRC
9.) Look up there, on the upper edge of the bumper, you'll see a bolt, remove, 10mm IIRC. These can rust in really bad, had to torch one of mine off, and then epoxy the new bumper on.
10.) Carefully pull bumper off far enough to take out turn signal bulbs

11.) Have a beer, your done

I've done this often enough to have it memorized...

Edit: Well, you don't have to remove the wheels, but it'll result in lots of nicks and cuts on your arms and be a major pain in the ass if you don't. Tried it once, worked, but never again.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<insert steps here>
[/b]
Thanks man, I don't think this will be to hard cause i just got a 25 gallon Compressor with Air Ratchet for Christmas :lol2:

Thanks for the help you saved my ass on this :mj_banana:

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I'm going to advise against the air ratchet on anything but the 5 bolts on top, its all plastic and will probably break...

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm going to advise against the air ratchet on anything but the 5 bolts on top, its all plastic and will probably break...
[/b]
Alright thanks for the advice :)

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
When I take my bumper cover off I leave the air dam and bottom plastic piece attached.

There are two studs under the plastic fender liners that have a 11mm nut on them. When reinstalling the bumper cover make sure these do not scratch the fender.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I take my bumper cover off I leave the air dam and bottom plastic piece attached.

There are two studs under the plastic fender liners that have a 11mm nut on them. When reinstalling the bumper cover make sure these do not scratch the fender.
[/b]
Again, thanks for the advice :thumb:

This project has been officially postponed 'till next week because I need to drop by auto zone and pickup a relay and some wire :)

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
3.) Remove headlights, 3 10mm bolts[/b]
Those are 8mm on my car; can't say whether they're the original bolts or not though.

I leave the air dam on the bumper as well. There are three bolts that hold the back of the air dam on the radiator support. If you have a stubby phillips screwdriver you can take out the screws that hold the inner fender wells on the bumper without removing the front tires. I generally don't even jack up the car when I pull the bumper cover off.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
I've taken my bumper on and off like 10 times in the past month for mods. In fact, some of you may remember it's off right now.

Anyways, I have all the bolts here on my desk so I checked them and here's what I do when I remove it...

1.) Open hood
2.) Theres 5 bolts along the front there, 10mm IIRC
3.) Remove headlights, 3 10mm bolts and 1 10mm pinch bolt

10mm is correct for stock bolts on bumper, I think they are the same as the ones on the headlights.

4.) Remove the screw under the headlight on the side, 8mm IIRC
5.) Look down to the side behind where that screw was, theres another one down there. Grab an extension for the ratchet, 8mm IIRC

5/16 inch socket is what I use

6.) Go under the car, along the bumper and air dam theres a bunch of small ones, 6mm IIRC

7/32 inch socket is what I use

7.) Jack the car up, and remove the front tires
8.) Remove the plastic fender well crud, phillips screws, 2 or 3 maybe 4 IIRC

I only remove the two that are on the front edge (each side), and wedge my hand in there. I scratch up my hand, but it's WAY easier than lifting the car and removing the wheels.

9.) Look up there, on the upper edge of the bumper, you'll see a bolt, remove, 10mm IIRC. These can rust in really bad, had to torch one of mine off, and then epoxy the new bumper on.

7/16 inch socket is what I use
[/b]

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
You can sometimes get away with using SAE sockets, but I don't recommend it.
[/b]
Yeah, they strip things.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I got mine off without ever removing the fender wells, I just pulled it back a little. Just stick an adjustable wrench in there, give it a turn or two and remove the nut by hand.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts