Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired a 1992 Taurus GL from family. It has a few problems. My current problem is not being able to use the parking break because I don't have a release lever!

I know they are available at the junkyard but I don't know what it takes to remove the handle/cable combination without cutting the cable! I would like to understand how to remove and install.

Can someone please give me the answer!? :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2,492 Posts
Funny you should ask that, I just "helped" Hamal (more like watched him struggle mightly) remove one from a parts car a couple of weeks ago. There is a cable from the handle to the parking brake pedal. I believe he set the brake to be able to loosen that cable. Then to get the handle out of the dash, there is a clip in back of the dash that has to be pulled out. Then the handle will just fall out.

Someone else might be able to give a better description...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
EDIII: I think it's that so-called clip that I cannot figure out! It's in such a difficult spot to actually look at, too. I might have to find multiple mirrors. That might help me get a better idea.

I'm hoping someone else (like yourself) has done this before, and has an explanation for me... :(

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Originally posted by EDIII@Oct 19 2004, 12:02 AM
Funny you should ask that, I just "helped" Hamal (more like watched him struggle mightly) remove one from a parts car a couple of weeks ago.
Thanks, Ed. <_<

:lol:

The easiest way to get at that clip is to pop off the panel that your panel dimmer/ Autolamp control is on, remove the control box that may or may not be in there (two screws if it is), and remove the clip that way. The other end of the cable is in the parking brake pedal assy, in the release lever. Setting or not setting the brake makes no difference, tho having the brake set gives some clearance. Just be careful when disengaging the cable from the lever when the brake is set; pull the lever enough, and the brake will disengage. Not a good look if your hand is in a bad spot down there. :unsure:

And that's about it, really. Good luck! :thumb:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll try that out. Sounds promising :banana: ! Is the clip anything like those (3 on each) that are holding in the headlamp casings?

That would seem to be easier if it's the case!
-Gerald

·
Premium Member
2,492 Posts
Originally posted by Racer X+Oct 19 2004, 12:50 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Racer X @ Oct 19 2004, 12:50 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-EDIII@Oct 19 2004, 12:02 AM
Funny you should ask that, I just "helped" Hamal (more like watched him struggle mightly) remove one from a parts car a couple of weeks ago.
Thanks, Ed. <_<

:lol: [/b][/quote]
No problem buddy :D Always here to "help" :lol2: :p

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey, guys (and, girls?)!
Thanks so much for your information and confidence boost. I removed the dimmer panel and immediately saw the clamp. It wasn't too hard to remove! This was all I needed - I knew if I was able to remove the dead one from my car at home, I would have no prob with the ones at the junkyard.

I now have a parking break with a functional release lever! :banana:

Thanks,
gewiwe

1 - 7 of 7 Posts