Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so seeing as how I will be driving all the way to Minneapolis next week, I am thinking maybe I should remove the passenger side wiper arm for improved aerodynamics (even though I know it will only help a tiny bit).

Are there any side effects to if I leave the wiper off for a long time (meaning I will probably end up using the wipers while the one is removed)

I'm sure there probably isn't, but it won't wreck the motor or throw off the balance of the other one or something will it?

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
Leave it alone.

·
Premium Member
7,303 Posts
:werd: :werd:

·
Premium Member
4,809 Posts
get SHO wiper spoilers if you're THAT dead set on making the car more "aerodynamic"

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
I don't think that's such a great idea. Suppose you hit some heavy rain. You would be losing half of your front visibility, and I don't think that would suffice the very low change of aerodynamics. My $0.02.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Sean, at some point you are going to start compromising the safety of you, your passengers, and your vehicle man. I'm all for fuel efficiency, but there does come a point ya know?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Frankly, I don't think you'll be saving much in MPG's if you do remove the wiper. As the Beatles said,

"Let it be, Let it be"

Bzimbug

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
I havent used my wipers in a long time, I use Rain-X on my windows and love it. BUT I still wouldnt take off the wipers. Think of this, if you do run into heavy rain and ANYTHING happens that the police would be involved in, your looking at a ticket for not having both wipers. They could get you for not having safety equipment on top of anything else.

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
You asked not to be flamed.

The best way to not get flamed is to read what you have typed before you click the Add new topic button

Mike
:thumb:

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
QUOTE (97 Blue Taurus Vulcan @ Jul 13 2009, 06:28 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=739204
I say put about 10 layers of Rain X on the windshield and then eliminate BOTH windshield wipers. Imagine the fuel you'd save.[/b]
Now that's a dumbass idea. :rolleyes:

Sean, Dont do it. Its not worth it. I drove in rain with one wiper... (my passenger side came loose..) and I seriously compromised my driving. Its not worth it unless you live in Cali.

·
Registered
283 Posts
no, no, no. not saving enought fuel to be that effecient to be looking like ur to lazy or broke to get a wiper arm from the junkyard. just leave it on and as has been said ur endangering urself.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Remove your floor mats, other seats, and take a huge dump before going on your trip. The weight savings will get you better mileage than stripping your car of its safety items.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
There is seriously zero worthwhile aerodynamic benefit there...it'd be about the same if you just got bracketless wiper blades instead of the metal frame ones.

I've driven in heavy rain with one blade too (thanks Anco for the Amazing Disintegrating Wiper Blades), and it is NOT fun. I'm all for increasing fuel mileage, but removing a safety item ain't cool IMHO, if the car won't pass a state safety inspection (which, in PA, a car with a missing wiper won't) it's not something worth doing for 0.00001 mpg. Knock 1mph off your speed, take out the backseat, inflate the tires to the max on the sidewall, tape over the upper grille and the panel gaps, whatever....don't remove wiper blades.

Or buy a Gen 4 with the little aerodynamic flip-up at the rear of the hood over the wipers :lol2:

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
QUOTE (ford_ses @ Jul 13 2009, 07:51 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=739231
There is seriously zero worthwhile aerodynamic benefit there...it'd be about the same if you just got bracketless wiper blades instead of the metal frame ones.[/b]
I think that would be his best bet. :)

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well dad said no too... so I guess it's a no.

oh well

·
Registered
887 Posts
QUOTE (97 Blue Taurus Vulcan @ Jul 13 2009, 06:28 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=739204
I say put about 10 layers of Rain X on the windshield and then eliminate BOTH windshield wipers. Imagine the fuel you'd save.[/b]

ROFL @ the fact that ya'll thought I was serious.

I would also advise that you should only keep one gallon of gas in your car at a time. That will definitely keep the weight down and save tons of gas.

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
Sean, buy a gen 2, the wipers go below the hood line when they're off.

Come to think of it, I may be the complete opposite of you when it comes to being fuel efficient.

I do tend to take it easy on the right pedal when I'm low on cash though, lol.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hard to believe this was a real question...but if you're really worried about aerodynamics, get a corvette. And if you really need to save gas, get a Geo.

There are a ton of ways to help save gas and improve aerodynamics on a Taurus, but nothing that will save you big bucks or make huge differences. Listen to the others...don't remove safety material. If you wind up crashing, it'll cost you more than the $.000007 you saved in gas.

However, I know it is legal to remove the passanger rearview mirror, atleast in this state, and that will make much more difference than a wiper.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts