Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do i remove the needles from my gauges?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i try pry it off, it wont bug. i had a 96 btw

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
It pops right out. You need to tug on it pretty hard. When I thought it was going to break, it popped right off.

Don't worry about it breaking...it won't. Just use equal pressure with 4 fingers when lifting the needle gauges.

I take it you are installing glow gauges.

·
Registered
946 Posts
What he said above. I had to replace my cluster and they told me the same thing. I could have sworn then, they were wrong. It would not budge. It does tho and it feels like you are going to break it if you tug any harder, but your not.

The best and easiest way that I found to do this is to place some paper or something on top of the guage face and place a flat head screwdriver between the needle and the face and slowly twist is so the blade goes from horizontal - to vertical | , but do it slowly. This should get it started for you. It will get to the point where the blade won't push it off anymore. You will have to use your fingers then, but it should be much easier for you at that point.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
I use a mini-wrecking bar to remove them. Works really well.

·
Registered
486 Posts
i put glow gauges in my car but i didnt remove the needles or anything. I just put the new gauges on top of the old ones. Was I supposed to remove the stock gauge faces and put the new ones there instead? Or did I do it right?

·
Registered
486 Posts
ok, thats good cause it was a real pain in the a** to install them as I am sure anyone who has done it knows.
Also, does anyone have problems with their needles sticking once in a while with the guages. Mainly my tach guage. I think it may be because of a wrinkle or somethin. I am gonna take it apart again this summer when it is warm again and hope i can fixem

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i wasn't installing gauges i was installing a kit for the needles themselves

1 - 9 of 9 Posts