Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Removing Big Dent

2K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  mattman3891 
#1 ·
okay so i let my wife drive the car and naturally she finds the first car that will back into her and follows it around all day.

now i got this big dent, and i'd love love love to get rid of it. any ideas?

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
lol its been that way for oh...3 and a half years already. that happened before my wife and i got married when the car still belonged to her mother.

too late to fix?

godspunk: i tried to get it with a mallet...didn't budge. my neighbor recommends taking the cover off and trying that way, so i have more room...but i'm hesitant because i know once you take body parts off they never go back on correctly.

someone said something about a boiling rag to loosen up the plastic. is this bs? will it hurt the car?

#6 ·
i guess i should. i thought about drilling a small hole in the center and rigging up something to pull the dent out...but then ih ave a damned hole in the bumper.

:angry:

#10 ·
You ought to be able to just push it out with your hand.

#11 ·
tried to push it out by hand...no way. i think it'd tear the bumper off before it'd budge.

have tried with a large rubber mallet...no give at all.

as for the hair dryer trick...i'd heard about that. does it really work? and will it frock up the paint? of course, if you look at the pic...the paint is pretty frocked anyway.

but does that hair dryer thing really work?

#12 ·
You could always run hot water over it.

#13 ·
i'm gonna try the hair dryer thing. if that don't work...i dunno...it's plastic so the paint flaking won't cause rust....i really don't want to take it off...cuz i know it'll never go on right again.

i'll let ya'll know how it comes out

#14 ·
.i really don't want to take it off...cuz i know it'll never go on right again.
thats not really true it just takes a little patients, I know you are trying to repair it for free and all but have you priced a new one? what about a aftermarket bumper cover from a body kit?

my brother replaced his bumper cover on his 89 with no problems (well at least it lines up)

just some thoughts from the peanut gallery

#15 ·
i've priced one...found it for 89 bucks, primer black. but if i can do it for nothing...ya know.

also, i have really bad luck with body parts. if i take it off and put it back on, it rattles or falls off or doesn't line up...something always goes wrong. i don't trust myself to do anything like that. i'm gonna try the hairdryer thing. if i can get the dent out, my neighbor can paint it...he said he'd do it for nothin' if i bought the paint.

i'll let ya'll know how it comes out.

#16 ·
Originally posted by LoadedLX@Sep 2 2004, 09:03 PM
i've priced one...found it for 89 bucks, primer black. but if i can do it for nothing...ya know.

also, i have really bad luck with body parts. if i take it off and put it back on, it rattles or falls off or doesn't line up...something always goes wrong. i don't trust myself to do anything like that. i'm gonna try the hairdryer thing. if i can get the dent out, my neighbor can paint it...he said he'd do it for nothin' if i bought the paint.

i'll let ya'll know how it comes out.
$89?! Where have YOU been lookin'? :eek: See if you can price a front bumper cover for me! :lol2:

Did you ever search a junkyard? They might have your color as well :)

#17 ·
Don't know if u pushed that dent out yet, but I remember when I put a dent in the GF's taurus on the front bumper, we brought it to the ford dealer and they took it off, reheated it, reformed it, sanded, primed, painted it for 250 bucks and it looks brand new, and it was pretty big. With yours even if u pop it out by hand you'll still have stress cracks and such.

-matt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.