Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, maybe this is a little bit easier of a question to answer...I'm thinking of removing my Gen 3's intake silencer, but I don't want it to be too loud during normal driving conditions. I'm cool if it is loud during hard acceleration, but say on the freeway at 2500rpm, what does it sound like? Can you even tell it's been taken out? (What's it sound like with K&N filter vs. paper?).

Thanks in advance guys. Tauri Rock!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Howdy,
a couple weeks ago I took out the silencer on my Gen III. The only time that you could really tell the difference between having the silencer and not is when you are trying to hear it when your hood is open and someone is giving it gas. Even then I still didnt really hear a difference. But I did just install a 3.5" cone filter w/a MAF adapter and it sounds awesome! My car roars at WOT
, and sounds like a regular tauri when I am not pushing it hard. It is alot of work for nothing when taking out the silencer. I wouldnt really recommend it. Thats my 2.002 cents.

Paul

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The cone filter idea sounds cool--where'd you get the MAF adapter Paul?

By the by, see you noticest the my Texan location

·
Registered
307 Posts
ya no difference wit the silencer removed but with the cone filter damn it sounds mean

·
Registered
3 Posts
Somebody needs to explain how air gets into the air box with the silencer in place. I removed mine last weekend (*much better, thank you*) and this thing is a closed chamber that seals the end of the intake. Where does the air come from? I am perplexed.......

Ours is a 2k with a Vulcan, and it definately made a difference in performance. My wife tested it out on the highway, and she said it 'growled' in WOT. Leave it to her.......

·
Registered
181 Posts
I was thinking about removing my Gen IV silencer, but installing a K&N panel filter is enough sound for me. Not noticeable at just about any throttle opening other than WOT, it's easily liveable, and sounds cool on acceleration.

I don't need any more of the same, if it won't get me any increase in gas mileage. So it will stay stock.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I took the silencer out of my gen4 sable and there is no sound difference - except at WOT. I have a cone filter on order that should arrive tomorrow so I can fab up a CAI, so we'll see what kind of noise it makes after that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts