Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last time I checked with a couple Ford dealers, they said they couldn't make me a new key/reflash my PATS module to work with the new key, and pointed me to a locksmith who wanted over $200 to do it.

So anyway, a Ford dealer in a town about 20 miles from here will do it for $40 for the reflash plus $40 for making a new key. Much cheaper. But towing my car all the way out there would cost me more than it would to just pay the corrupt locksmiths. :( :lol:

So can I just take the PATS module out and bring it down to them? Does it just "come out" of the car, unplug etc. without causing any trouble?

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
I don't know, Alex, but my instinct is no. The dealership needs to go through the OBD-II port to program keys, which I would suspect unconditionally runs through the PCM. If this is the case, you would also need to pull the PCM, the port, and all the wiring between the PATS module, PCM, and OBD-II port. Or at best, the locksmith would need a Taurus, probably one identical to yours, to which to plug in your PATS module and reprogram it. And even then, if Ford designed their system intelligently, that should still prevent you from reprogramming the module.

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Damn. Yeah that sucks. I am wondering if I can just ditch PATS and go to regular keys. :lol:

PATS has helped me before, but mostly just preventing idiots in my highschool from screwing with my car. For the most part it's more of an inconvenience and expense than anything.

·
Banned
290 Posts
Call locksmiths that come out to you. One I called said he would drive out to me, program and cut a new key for $80.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I had my PATS turned off in my tuning (X-Calibrator from FPS).

The only thing is that the theft light blinks at me for about 2 minutes after starting the car.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Originally posted by 1fast97@Oct 31 2005, 11:04 PM

The only thing is that the theft light blinks at me for about 2 minutes after starting the car.
I just have the ask...why?

Why defeat a simple yet relatively reliable anti-theft measure, which does nothing to impact performance, other than give you the ability to use a regular key, which weighs about 60 grams (give or taken x number of grams) less than a PATS key?

JR

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Can you swap the computer with a early G3 Vulcan computer w/o PATS (someone told me that ALL Duratecs came with PATS)? I know the car will freak out, but it's still a 4-stroke engine and hydraulic transmission underneath all the electronics. Once you get to the locksmith, plug your original computer back in.

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by godspunk32@Nov 1 2005, 12:08 AM

Why defeat a simple yet relatively reliable anti-theft measure, which does nothing to impact performance, other than give you the ability to use a regular key, which weighs about 60 grams (give or taken x number of grams) less than a PATS key?

JR
My guess is it conflicts with some tuning and aftermarket alarms.

Also Ian needs to save weight so he can go faster. 60g saved is 60g earned. Plus you can earn another 2 lbs by taking the pats module out.

Now where's my CF speedo needles at?

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Originally posted by Twilight+Nov 1 2005, 01:04 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Twilight @ Nov 1 2005, 01:04 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-godspunk32@Nov 1 2005, 12:08 AM

JR
My guess is it conflicts with some tuning and aftermarket alarms.

Also Ian needs to save weight so he can go faster. 60g saved is 60g earned. Plus you can earn another 2 lbs by taking the pats module out.

Now where's my CF speedo needles at? [/b][/quote]
:lol2:

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Originally posted by Twilight@Oct 31 2005, 10:08 PM
Damn. Yeah that sucks. I am wondering if I can just ditch PATS and go to regular keys. :lol:

PATS has helped me before, but mostly just preventing idiots in my highschool from screwing with my car. For the most part it's more of an inconvenience and expense than anything.
Have you determined whether the dealership can even make you a new key based on the VIN? I'd like to know if that's possible, because if not, somebody would have to pull--and, I imagine, replace--your ignition cylinder. Let us know on this; if a key can't be fabricated from a VIN then this would be a good reason for those of us driving with 1 key (myself included) to have a non-PATS copy made as super-cheap insurance against ignition cylinder replacement.

Other people mentioned disabling PATS; you might ask if the dealership will do that, but I sadly suspect not.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Originally posted by godspunk32+Oct 31 2005, 11:08 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (godspunk32 @ Oct 31 2005, 11:08 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-1fast97@Oct 31 2005, 11:04 PM

JR [/b][/quote]
Because it's just something that could possibly fail and prevent me from starting the car stranding me somewhere. I had a starting issue and I wanted to rule out the PATS.

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by sfontain@Nov 1 2005, 09:21 AM
Have you determined whether the dealership can even make you a new key based on the VIN? I'd like to know if that's possible, because if not, somebody would have to pull--and, I imagine, replace--your ignition cylinder. Let us know on this; if a key can't be fabricated from a VIN then this would be a good reason for those of us driving with 1 key (myself included) to have a non-PATS copy made as super-cheap insurance against ignition cylinder replacement.

Other people mentioned disabling PATS; you might ask if the dealership will do that, but I sadly suspect not.
You need the key code from the car. The used car dealer didn't give it to me, and I have no idea who bought the car initially and from what dealer, so I can't find anyone who has that information.

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by Robert L@Nov 2 2005, 10:10 AM
Most ford keys can be cut from the vehicle ID # from 96 ^.
hmm... that's interesting. I'll have to check around, seems like some dealers just have no interest in helping Ford customers.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Wal-Mart sells a bypass module that will work on 96+ Taurus's for $20.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is a Really old conversation....
How did you get the PATS on your car removed/disabled/bypassed? I have a '99 Taurus SE, and the closest dealership wants me to bring it 49 miles and pay them $300-$400 for the requisite 2 new keys. (They said they can't do anything like that based on VIN.) I don't know if any mobile locksmiths in my very rural area.

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
I know this is a Really old conversation....
How did you get the PATS on your car removed/disabled/bypassed? I have a '99 Taurus SE, and the closest dealership wants me to bring it 49 miles and pay them $300-$400 for the requisite 2 new keys. (They said they can't do anything like that based on VIN.) I don't know if any mobile locksmiths in my very rural area.
You may want to start a new thread.
What issue are you having? By passing Pats is programming a module to respond as a programed key when interrogated during engine start. The goal is to use only mechanical keys or adding remote start. Do you have a programmed key?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,286 Posts
Other option is to buy a new matching set of PCM, tumbler, and keys from an online source. I have seen them offered but don't remember the price.

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
Other option is to buy a new matching set of PCM, tumbler, and keys from an online source. I have seen them offered but don't remember the price.
Yea, but finding a pcm with the same tear tag numbers may not be easy.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts