Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a Ford PATS system bypass module, part number 1L3Z-19G365-AB to override the PATS system during a remote start, but there were no instructions at all that came with it as to how to hook it up?!? there is a box, with a wiring harness, the unit that goes around the key cylinder, and the strange thing, the only other thing to hook up it seems is a little 3 conductor connector, two of teh wires (looks like power and ground) go to the "box" and there is a white wire that hangs loose, needs to be hooked up somewhere. so, where does this stuff need to get hooked up anyway? and after installed, how do I program it? anyone who has used the FORD unit to bypass the computer chip key system, please let me know how this thing works!

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
hmm no info yet, if anyone knows how to use this thing, please let me know as soon as possible, I'm just home for the day, and when I head back to school, I won't have the garage or tools...thanks!

·
Registered
138 Posts
I installed a remote start in my gen4. I did indeed install the PATS bypass kit. Now first of all...did you install a remote start? Because you need one to hook up this device.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes, I do have a remote starter. which only works of course when the key is sitting in the ignition during startup. I wish the unit came with some instruction on how to hook it up and use it. the hook up wires go to a connector, with three wires on it, a red and black, which go to the bypass unit, for power I'm assuming, what else could it be? then there is a white wire that goes nowhere, it goes through the connector, and just hangs loose. looks like it should be hooked up to something, but it does not go the bypass module at all, so how is it supposed to do anything useful? only thing I can figure for hook up is to attach the black wire to ground, and the red wire to the starter, isolated so that it only gets power when the remote starter give it power, not when the ignition harness does, so the PATS system will still protect against a hotwire. but how do you program it? maybe you put the key in the ignition, and activate the remote starter, and it sees that a key is present, and memorizes its code? then will retransmit that code as the remote starter is activated later. that's all I can figure, if you can shed some light on the whole thing, I would be very grateful. is that the part number of the unit you have (above post)? why is there a connector on it? does it plug into the PATS system somewhere? or do I just splice the wires to hook up? any help would be greately apprecaited!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yes I molded the fogs in there. Thanks for the thumbs up. Now for your bypass kit... I'm not sure that is the right one for the Taurus. If you know that it is, here is how to connect and program it.

Basically you need to hook the black wire up to your ignition 3 (-) out or whatever wire that produces a negative current when the remote start is pressed. Then run the red wire to constant. Tape up or cut off the white wire you won't need it. Make sure you secure the ring around the key cylinder good. Now once you have your remote start ready to go you will NEED 2 keys for the car and the remote transmitter for the remote start.

Put key 1 in the ignition and turn it up 2 clicks and watch the theft light or LED in the dash. It will stay solid for a couple seconds and then go out. AS SOON as it goes out quickly remove that key and put the second key in and turn on the ignition. Again watch the light and AS SOON as the light goes out remove the key and hit the remote start button on the transmitter. The ignition will fire up and watch the light again. If that light is blinking hit the brake and shut it down because it didn't work right. If the light is solid, you did it right its working. You just have to do that whole process quickly if you don't it won't work. Give that a try and let me know if it works. Good luck

·
Registered
746 Posts
when i had remote start installed on mine the installer had to actualy take the chip out of a spare key. they cut the key open, removed the chip, and then installed it in with the alarm somewhere. this bypass's the pats on start up. but it still requires a key with the chip in it to manually start it.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oh I see, I recognize that procedure, that's how you would program a 3rd key if you have two already programmed keys. so you just program the module as if it were another key? I hope this is the right one for this car, its the one taht was listed specifically for the 96-99 taurus and sable on the old forums thread about wiring and alarming and remote starting and such, I hope the author got the right one. so, did yours have a connector on those wires, or did you just hook up red and black wires? I think I might have a wire taht goes ground when the remote starter is activated, but I'm not sure if that's what that wire's function is, I was going to hook up black to constant ground, and isolate one of the starter wires with a relay, and hook up the red wire to that one, so the effect would be, it gets 12V when the remote starter is activated. yours it hooked up to an ignitoin wire you said? I noticed that if I remote start with the key on the ignitnion, then take it out, the car continues to run. so I thought I would hook it up to the starter wire, but sounds like it should be hooked up to the ignition itself, so the module is transmitting its signal anytime the remote starter is feeding the ignition...makes sense to me. do you have a Ford remote starter? just curious, because mine is an aftermarket brand, not designed for any car in particular, I have been wondering since the beginning if this module was designed to plug into a ford remote starter...so I am just hoping that either that's not the case, or that it will work with other remote starters anyway. thanks so much for this info!

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have an Autopage which is aftermarket. If you have a wire that sends a groud signal from your remote start then hook up the black wire there. Then just tap into a constant (make sure that you use a fuse) with the red wire. Do NOT use the white wire. Then when you hit the starter button, it will send a signal to the ignition prior to starting and voila! You just fooled PATS!

·
Registered
38 Posts
OK what kind of remote start are you using? most units have a ground out while running which you would hook to black, and constant to red. The white may be for tapping into the factory ring on some cars, and likely will not be used, because most fords have the receiver built on to the antenna ring. I am not familar with the ford unit, I use DEI's 555U bypass units they can be found online for around $30 and that would be what I am basing my opinion on

1 - 10 of 10 Posts