Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i start my car, with the remote start. The everything turns on, but the only thing that does not turn on is the engine. The most important thing does not turn on. This only happens every now and then, but not always.
So when its cold out and i start it to warm it up, i end up in a cold car, and my battery has been running the whole time blowing cold air into my car.

:angryfire: :angryfire:
:tcca_small: :tcca_small:

·
Registered
799 Posts
Does it attempt to start?

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
Sometimes my autostart doesn't start the car on the first attemp. The car cranks, but on the rare occasion will not fire up. The auto start will keep the park lights on, and all the accessories, except for the stereo. However within a minute of the first attempt of starting, the auto start will attempt to start the car again without me pushing the remote. It alway fires up the second time, but the auto start I have will shut everything down if it doesn't start by the third attempt.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well the car does crank or tries to, but does not successfully get started. Mine does not have that, were it tries till the car actually starts. It just sits there with the battery running everything in the car. Ill have to check the battery, but that battery is like brand new.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
i have a 850 cca battery in my car with a python starter, and in extremely cold weather it takes about two starts before my engine fires up, but i believe its how my remote starter is set up. possibly a safety feature, but i don't worry about it too much it always fires up for sure the second time.

·
Registered
354 Posts
the tach wire must be hooked up and programmed corrrctly and the car will start every time with no problems. take back to the shop that did it and they can hook it up for you.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Most times, at least in the two vehicles I've had it in, the tach signal was only hooked up to verify whether or not the car was running. The installer hooked it up so the starter would crank for a preset amount of time. In the warmer months it was fine, in the colder months it usually took two tries to get going. Mine would also attempt up to three times to start, and kill the power if it didn't.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am not the one who put in the remote start, the previous owner had that done. I bought the car from a dealer selling it as used. Though i think by now the warranty i put on the car is probably gone by now.

So your saying its the tach wire, would that only go bad in the winter, or is that an over all year round. This has happened only since the winter has started.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
depending on the unit or the installer, most remote starts can operate without a tach wire. most units now have the option of monitoring the engine's rpm's or run status via a voltage sensor built in. on my car i had the tach wire installed. many people kept telling me it wasn't necessary, but i thought why would the company put it on there if it wasn't a benefit. plus its far more accurate than it sensing voltage. from the remote starts that my friends have, they experience the same deal, the remote start will try to start the engine, and it will only turn the engine over so for so long, if it doesn't start, atleast on mine, it will wait probably 20 seconds and will try again, it is a safety feature, but that doesn't mean thats your situation. This is what i would do:
1: if your tech savy you could use a multi-meter on the ignition wires and make sure its not a loose connection., or that your remote start is putting out the proper voltage to the starter. the remote start unit could be bad.
2: take your car to autozone and have the battery and alternator checked.
3: if neither you could take it to a company that installs them, when i had issues with mine i took it to "columbus car audio," and they charged me i think $25, as it was just a simple fix.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright ill try that and see if it works. Thanks for the INFO

keep putting up ideas in case some of these are not the case.

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
Tach wire FTW!

I had a local shop (long story, guy never finished the job because he went to jail for his umpteenth DUI, had to get the police to open the shop so I could get my car parts back) install a remote starter on the '91. THey didn't use the tach wire. What would frequently happen is not exactly like your situation, more the opposite - the car would start, run for a few seconds, but because the voltage differential wasn't high enough, it would turn the car off, then try again, sometimes three times (the max) then shut the car off. The tach wire is infinitely more accurate than a voltage reading (seriously, 0 volts or >0 volts). If you take it to a decent car audio place like Best Buy etc. they should be able to check the installation and fix what needs to be fixed for a modest charge.

On mine, it took a second trip to an out-of-town audio/video shop and an extra $50 to get the blower circuit wired in. What good is a remote start if the engine runs but never heats up the interior of the car?

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
I've always had good luck with a preset ~4 second crank + 13V sense, it will crank until the engine starts up, at which point the controller will sense the alts >12V output and stop the cranking.

Maybe i'm overly cautious but i've never liked the idea of (possibly) introducing noise into the PCM rpm input or taking the chance of flyback voltage hitting the remote start unit. =\

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
what type of shop or auto store would look at the remote start and be able to put the tach wire in. I am not an auto person, but i wish someone would teach me. Since im not living with my dad i dont know that much about cars. I wish i did.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
most circuit city's will, not so sure about best buy. if you know what brand starter you have i would go online and use google and type it in and look for an authorized dealer.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So you think, Best Buy will do it. Does the company that makes the remote start put anything in your car with there name on it. I dont have a card or anything, i was wondering if they put it on something they put in the car.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Maybe i'm overly cautious but i've never liked the idea of (possibly) introducing noise into the PCM rpm input or taking the chance of flyback voltage hitting the remote start unit. =\
[/b]
Shouldn't happen. Never heard of it happening at least.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So does everythink i should get a tach wire for the car, will it really make the car stop.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts