Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2013 SEL
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This morning, my remote start (2013 SEL) stopped working. Instead it, honks the horn.

According to the user manual, the following can cause this:
  1. the ignition is on
  2. the alarm system is triggered
  3. you disable the feature
  4. the hood is not closed
  5. the transmission is not in P
  6. the vehicle battery voltage is too low
  7. your service engine soon light is on.
Well, 1, 2, 3, 5, and 7 are clearly not true. That leaves 4 and 6. For #4, I'm guessing something on the car would let me know if the hood switch wasn't working. For #6, I tested the voltage and it measured 12.4 V while the car was off (20 degrees F outside, but car was running about a half hour before).

Per another thread in these forums, I also tried putting my foot on the brake pedal while attempting a remote start. That didn't help.

Anyone have suggestions on how to diagnose this? It's getting colder outside.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Bill, Check the set up menu on the vehicle page (Left side Instrument panel.) I am not insulting your intelligence but it could have been possibly disabled even accidentally.
Check #3 again.

For #4 the switch is under the hood. There is no HOOD AJAR warning only doors and trunk. I believe the logic was a average driver could see a hood open. You can test this pretty easily I will explain how.

Open the hood, just behind the Drivers headlight on the cross member frame ahead of the air filter box there is a rubber coated micro switch. Too dark to get photo but if you need one email me and I will get one tomorrow in the daylight.

Hold that switch down and use key fob for remote start as normal. After engine start release switch and the engine should stall.

The remote shouldn't work with brake pedal applied since the fob detects that your in the vehicle.

I had this happen a couple of times and it seemed to be the angle. When I changed the approach angle.

Do the testing of the micro switch described as above but my personal guess is either key fob Battery going weak or possibly the angle of the fob and or possible interference/obstruction within the line of sight to the remote start transmitter/receiver/

·
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator
3,017 Posts
Pull horn fuse. Open hood and hold switch/hood pin down. Lock car. Wait 30 seconds and see if perimeter alarm flashes lights.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2013 SEL
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had tried both keyfobs (changed batteries in both keyfobs about three months ago). I forgot to mention that I played a little with the hood switch earlier. I hadn't run this specific test. I went out to do it and have mixed news.

As I was walking toward the garage, I attempted a remote start. It worked. I popped the hood and it died. I did the test while holding the switch down and it behaved as expected. For no apparent reason it's working now, but didn't this morning or earlier this evening.

If it fails again (and I'm not rushing to work), I'll try franchise713's test.

·
Registered
835 Posts
You know how to test the switch now at least but I still maintain that it was a fluke and as simple as a wrong angle and RF interference/obstruction in the path between the Key Fob and transmitter. Franchise and JMR I believe are more experienced on this but if I remember correctly the Remote Start TX/RX is in the upper center of the inside mirror housing.

·
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator
3,017 Posts
Hood switch getting finicky, maybe?

I'll look at FORScan sometime tomorrow and see if there isn't a historical PID for why the last remote start failed, along with a PID for the hoodpin. I feel like it does store failed starts in there but can't recall for sure.

·
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator
3,017 Posts
You know how to test the switch now at least but I still maintain that it was a fluke and as simple as a wrong angle and RF interference/obstruction in the path between the Key Fob and transmitter. Franchise and JMR I believe are more experienced on this but if I remember correctly the Remote Start TX/RX is in the upper center of the inside mirror housing.
TPMS radio under the parcel shelf doubles as your keyfob receiving radio and remote start.

·
Registered
2013 SEL
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TPMS radio under the parcel shelf doubles as your keyfob receiving radio and remote start.
That's interesting. I also thought it was in the mirror. If it's under the rear shelf, I guess I should start parking with the tail out at work.

Anyway, the remote start worked fine this morning and this evening. I have a pretty lame theory as to why it may have been related to #2 (alarm).

In my last failed test of the remote start, I was inside pressing the brake. Because I pressed the lock on the keyfob as part of the test and then exited the vehicle, I suspect this upset the alarm.

A little later, I went to the car to get something out of the glovebox. I opened the door, the car beeped at me and the dash said something about an entry alarm. I closed the door, entered my code into the keypad and reentered the vehicle.

The next time I went outside to test the remote start, it worked and has worked since. I'm wondering if the alarm may have been in some kind of funky state and the sequence above may have reset that state.

·
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator
3,017 Posts
Maybe so. Double checked the workshop manual and that's how it gets in. Other Ford models (F150?) have had it on/around the mirror from what I've read on other forums, but not this generation of Taurus.

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,054 Posts
I think it's mounted on the mirror on my parents Expedition.

·
Registered
165 Posts
This morning, my remote start (2013 SEL) stopped working. Instead it, honks the horn.

1. the ignition is on
Well, 1, 2, 3, 5, and 7 are clearly not true. That leaves 4 and 6. For #4, I'm guessing something on the car would let me know if the hood switch wasn't working. For #6, I tested the voltage and it measured 12.4 V while the car was off (20 degrees F outside, but car was running about a half hour before).

Per another thread in these forums, I also tried putting my foot on the brake pedal while attempting a remote start. That didn't help.

Glad I came across this thread! I'm having the same exact issue with my 2013 SEL. For me, 1 - 6 are not true, but I do have a CEL on. If this counts as "Service Engine Soon" light. Can someone confirm that a CEL would cause the remote start feature from working?

If not, I'll check the hood pin thing later today and see if it allows my car to start or not.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Cool, thanks! I'll be sure to take care of the CEL then.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bill, Check the set up menu on the vehicle page (Left side Instrument panel.) I am not insulting your intelligence but it could have been possibly disabled even accidentally.
Check #3 again.

For #4 the switch is under the hood. There is no HOOD AJAR warning only doors and trunk. I believe the logic was a average driver could see a hood open. You can test this pretty easily I will explain how.

Open the hood, just behind the Drivers headlight on the cross member frame ahead of the air filter box there is a rubber coated micro switch. Too dark to get photo but if you need one email me and I will get one tomorrow in the daylight.

Hold that switch down and use key fob for remote start as normal. After engine start release switch and the engine should stall.

The remote shouldn't work with brake pedal applied since the fob detects that your in the vehicle.

I had this happen a couple of times and it seemed to be the angle. When I changed the approach angle.

Do the testing of the micro switch described as above but my personal guess is either key fob Battery going weak or possibly the angle of the fob and or possible interference/obstruction within the line of sight to the remote start transmitter/receiver/
Could you get a picture of it. I just bought a 2013 taurus that has been hit in the front. I'm putting it back together but don't see were it is suppose to be.

·
Registered
1 Posts

1. the ignition is on

Check #3 again.

Thanks for this. I tried the hood pin. I held it down & started the car. It worked. I put a magnet above the hood pin to add some height when the hood closes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts