Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering getting and installing a remote starter for my 99 Taurus. My question is what other issues should I be taking into consideration. My current remote for keyless entry has lock/unlock, panic, and trunk pop. I definitely want the new one to still lock/unlock (drivers lock doesn't work, but thats a different project), and If I had to lose the trunk pop I could deal, although it would be great if I could keep it. Do I need anything to get around the factory alarm, or the PATS system, etc. I'm sure plenty of people have installed these, and I'm about tired of running outside, starting the car, and running back in to stand in the foyer for 10 minutes. Any recommendations are appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
214 Posts
All the wires you need access to are under the dash, you just need to figure out which ones are which. You can keep your unlock/lock and trunk popper.

PATS is the only big issue. There are PATS bypass modules available which I have and works good. The other way is to just mount a keyfob by the module itself so it's always "thinks" you are near it. A lot of people have done this with success too, but I wouldn't ever do it as it eliminates security.

·
Registered
173 Posts
All the wires you need access to are under the dash, you just need to figure out which ones are which. You can keep your unlock/lock and trunk popper.

PATS is the only big issue. There are PATS bypass modules available which I have and works good. The other way is to just mount a keyfob by the module itself so it's always "thinks" you are near it. A lot of people have done this with success too, but I wouldn't ever do it as it eliminates security.
What remote starter did you use? and how hard and time consuming would it take?

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have a Viper in my car. I got the best version they offered at around $600. There were A LOT of wires and without a buddy of mine that worked out an audio shop, I don't know if I could have gotten all the diagrams I needed or not.

More simpler, plain jane remote starts, I would assume would be pretty easy to accomplish with just putting in a few wires to access the ignition. The PATS install was pretty easy with the documentation. What it does is basically when you want to remote start just overrides PATS for a quick second and then turns it back on.

It took about a day for me to get it all done, but I'm a little more inclined than most.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts