Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that in 1995, Remote keyless entry (with the keyfob, not the combination lock on the door) was an option. On a 1995 GL with power locks, how much of that system is already installed on the car, if it doesn't already have the remote system?

I found a Ford keyfob (that was originally for a 1998 Sable in a box of old keys, and decided to try to program it, thinking that like my 2010 Fit everything was there on the cars without it, except that the remote wasn't included). Google gave me the instructions, which I followed:

1) Close the drivers' door.
2) Press the unlock button.
3) turn the key to on then off eight times.
4) press any button on the remote.

I'm guessing that the system would include:
1) Power lock motors in all four doors
2) A module somewhere (up under the dash?)
3) All required wiring.
4) the keyfob.

I've already got the power lock motors (and buttons). From memory a number of years ago, it seems to me that Ford installs all of the wiring for every option, but leaves out the parts that make the option work (Honda does this, too, and in fact with the remote entry on the 2010 Fit, the models that don't have it only need the keyfob to add it, everything else is already there). The fuse for it has other electrical equipment on the same circuit, so it's there. Do I have the module? Or could I not get the fob to program because the module isn't there?

Thanks! The amount that I drive this car, I really don't NEED it, but it would be nice to have.

·
Super Moderator
7,751 Posts
RKE module is in the trunk in back of the back seat. Black box a little bigger than a pack of cigs with an electrical connector with lots of wires.

I believe that a 95 that came with the key fobs also came with the key pad on the drivers door. You either got both or neither.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Will a Gen3 fob work on a Gen2 car? If I remember correctly a Gen4 fob does not work with a Gen3 car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
174 Posts
When you finished step 3 of the programming, did anything happen? I believe that the locks would cycle when you hit the eighth on/off.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When you finished step 3 of the programming, did anything happen? I believe that the locks would cycle when you hit the eighth on/off.

No. But, I found another thread on here (about programming the fob) that says that I should end with the key ON. I was ending with the key OFF. That might've been the problem.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RKE module is in the trunk in back of the back seat. Black box a little bigger than a pack of cigs with an electrical connector with lots of wires.

I believe that a 95 that came with the key fobs also came with the key pad on the drivers door. You either got both or neither.
Thanks, Jeff. Mine doesn't have the keypad. But, it's a custom order GL, so it might have been custom ordered with remote entry but not the keypad.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will a Gen3 fob work on a Gen2 car? If I remember correctly a Gen4 fob does not work with a Gen3 car.

The fobs are identical, to the best of my knowledge. At least, the one I have that was from the Gen3 was identical to the one dad had for his Gen4, and that I had for my Gen1 Focus.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Thanks, Jeff. The one in the picture is near the top of the seat, on the left side of the trunk, but it doesn't look like it has a whack of wires coming out of it. Is that it?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,751 Posts
That is it. Of course, it is supposed to be screwed to the metal support structure not just hanging there.

Electrical connector for the module is facing down and to the left in your pic, but has nothing plugged into it. Looks like someone has been trying some hack job repair / disassembly.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is it. Of course, it is supposed to be screwed to the metal support structure not just hanging there.

Electrical connector for the module is facing down and to the left in your pic, but has nothing plugged into it. Looks like someone has been trying some hack job repair / disassembly.
I got right into the trunk to take a better look (tight fit for me, and I'm not big!). It is plugged in, and it is secured. I changed the battery in the remote.

Either the replacement battery (an old battery that I took from somewhere else) is dead, or the module is dead, or I'm not programming it correctly.

Somebody posted another set of programming instructions. I'll try those, maybe. Maybe Google (who isn't as smart as Siri) lead me astray.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Both batteries are good. The original battery tests at over 3 volts, the other tests at 2.5(ish). Wait, how many volts should those batteries read?

The instructions linked above (which also link to a supplier of a remote) reference a connector that I have no idea where it is (especially without taking apart my trunk).

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@Jeff K Could you get me a Ford part number for the keyless entry keyfob, please? For my '95 Taurus? And could you also see if you can locate instructions direct from Ford for programming it?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts