Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 6 disc cd changer from here and installed it in my trunk, turns out thats a pain in the ass when going for long road trips, anyways i wanted to know if i could move the cd changer to the spot under the armrest between the 2 front seats, i have the LX so the shifter is on the column so would it fit there and also if i moved it there would i just splice the short wires with longer wire and run it under the carpet?

·
Premium Member
2003 Ford taurus Centennial Edition
1,405 Posts
If you bought a Gen 4 changer, and you have a Gen 4..(looks like it in your profile pic).
There is a switch on the side that enables the changer to go from vertical to horiziontal.
I believe all Gen 4's had the changer mounted under the passenger seat, you might want to check it out. There might even be the wiring there. That I'm not sure about..you could ask Brian 05_sel or bullgeek they would have more info about that.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
I'm not sure about G4s without the floor console shifter, but i know cars that had the console shifter with a cd changer, it was inside of the console.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok i looked under my passenger side seat and theres some wires under there, not sure what one i would plug the cd player into, i will go out now and see if any of the ends fits into the cd player :)

·
Premium Member
7,307 Posts
The changers on the Tauri have never been mounted under the seat unless someone did that by themselves.
Wouldn't that cause a problem when moving the seat?

All gen 4's had them mounted on the drivers side of the trunk, some were mounted under the rear package shelf, or in the case of a console, inside it.:)

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
I solved that problem. My 1996 Taurus had a 6 disc changer, and I replaced it with an iPod adapter. That lets me have my entire music library at my disposal, not unlike a 1000 disc changer.

The only practical location up front is inside the console.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cant i mount on top of the tranny bump? right in front of the stereo? kind of mounted like in the trunk, on its side and then dont use the cup holders? either way i already stripped and ran 12 speaker wires to move the cd player soooo

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How do i use an ipod adapter on a car with only a tape deck in the front? if you mean those crappy tapes they work but sound like ass compared to the cd....plus...i dont got an ipod :(

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
No, I mean my ipod adapter replaces the cd changer. Mine will work with either an iPod, or anything that has a headphone jack. Plus it is a great GPS .

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Where you want it to. The adapter I used comes it two parts. The first part plugs into the RCU, replacing the CD changer harness. It has an RCA input, and it basically emulates a CD changer with 1 disc and an infinite track. Then I ran an RCA cable from there to up under the dash. The iPod adapter itself tap into the lighter socked wires for power, and is located in the dash. It has two cords coming out of it, one is a 1/8" headphone cable, the other is an iPod connector. I ran them both to an iPhone hold that is made for my car. It hold my phone, connects it to my stereo, and charges it. I've used the headphone jack to connect to other devices before.

So even if you don't have an iPod, you could use a portable CD player instead. How nice this all looks depends on where you run your wires. Its not hard to do yourself, prbably easier than relocating the factory CD changer. Since the first part of the adapter is just an AUX input adapter, you can use it with anything that has RCA outputs.

You need this

PIE search, pie search engine, pie search by car
and one of the accessories that works with it listed at the bottom of the page. They have iPod adapters, and other RCA adapters, depending on what you want to do.

I would much rather do that than mess with moving the CD changer.

If you were to get an iPod, there are higher end adapters that let you control the iPod device through the head unit.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sounds nice but if im going to spend that kind of money i might as well do what im thinking of doing and just pull the center console from an se with the shifter and put it in my LX and just put the cd changer in the box it was meant for :) does the cd changer wire go to the front on lx models just in case? and if so would it be hidden under the carpet needing to be cut to expose it cause i cant see anything else under there?

·
Premium Member
7,307 Posts
The ford wire harness for the changer in the console goes to the rcu (amp) in the trunk.:)

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Sounds nice but if im going to spend that kind of money i might as well do what im thinking of doing and just pull the center console from an se with the shifter and put it in my LX and just put the cd changer in the box it was meant for :) does the cd changer wire go to the front on lx models just in case? and if so would it be hidden under the carpet needing to be cut to expose it cause i cant see anything else under there?
Doubtful if they ran a wiring harness for a console cd chaner on a car that wasn't meant to have a console.. but maybe? who knows... If not im sure someone around here can hook you up with one.

·
Premium Member
7,307 Posts
No way they ran a harness, even if there's a console.
No changer, no harness.
I occasionally get a console harness, but not very often.
Alot of the car has to be disassembled to get at the harness.:)

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Im just going to extend the wire thats in the trunk with speaker wire, im going to call around and find one of those consoles, i hope i have luck :)

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
The adapters are much cleaner to run. You only need to run either a single iPod cable or a single RCA stereo cable. All the other connections are either made up from or int eh back. Or you could get a different face plate than has a disc player. I don't know when those first appeared.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts