Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the easiest way to reinstall the ABS control module on an 03' DOHC?

I am having mine rebuilt instead of putting a new one in. We went with the rebuild route as it is only $180 and the car does not have to be reprogammed at the dealer. If I was to go with a new one, it is at least $800 for the part, plus having to tow it to the dealer to reprogram the new ABS module. Keeping my original, skips having to reprogram.

It took close to 6 hours taking it out, and I am sure it will be much more difficult to put back in if we do the same method. We did not take any of the brake lines off of the ABS pump. Should we take out the ABS pump and then put it back on? Will the car have to have the ABS system bled after this at the dealer?

I am thinking we will have to take it to a mechanic to have them reinstall this ABS module. I love to DIY, but not sure if we can do this on our own. We are driving the car with the module out for now. Brakes are perfect, just no ABS for now. It is hard to get ABS to kick on anyways since the tires stick so good on this car in the rain.

Any suggestions would be grateful.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It looks like I am the only one that has had their's fail. I received the rebuild ABS module Friday and it looks like I will end up going to a local shop to have it installed. Like I said before I really enjoy DIY, but I don't think it would make sence to spend more than 6 hours to put this back in on my own. I am not willing to go into the ABS pump with so many brake fluid lines and not really know what I am getting into. There are no books that I have seen that cover any of the ABS section on the Taurus. I plan on taking it in next weekend for this. As for now, I even tried to skid the car in the rain yesterday and the car stopped no problem, not even an attempt to lock up. I am going to miss these Yoko AVS 100's when they wear out. Simply the best rain tire ever!

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Wow, that is a hard story, Bro. My ABS has been dysfunctional since I got the car, and the brakes work great otherwise, just like yours. ABS light being on will not fail an inspection, either. I would not have spent the money, myself. Good luck.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I just replaced mine in my SHO, and I believe it is in the same location for the Duratec.

It's pretty simple really, just remove the battery tray and there it is. Remove the break lines (4 of them) and if you really want to, just bend them up so they do not leak and no air gets into them. Then unbolt the ABS module and bolt the new one back on and then re-screw in the break lines.. DONE!

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just replaced mine in my SHO, and I believe it is in the same location for the Duratec.

It's pretty simple really, just remove the battery tray and there it is. Remove the break lines (4 of them) and if you really want to, just bend them up so they do not leak and no air gets into them. Then unbolt the ABS module and bolt the new one back on and then re-screw in the break lines.. DONE!

Yes it is right under the battery tray. Will unscrewing the lines, get air into the abs pump? And how do I bleed the ABS pump if I do get air in the lines? How much can you bend the line? I am afraid it may kink the brake line if I bend it.

Any further help would be awesome here!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Well, personally what I did to assure no air got in the lines at all was to just completely drain the system of brake fluid, once the ABS was reinstalled, I just installed clean brake fluid and bled the system again (actually twice as I felt the brake pedal was a little to light).

To test the ABS module and make sure it has no air in the lines that run to it (air cannot be in the module itself as the module just has actuators that go back and forth) is to go on a gravel road, go about 30 miles an hour and then slam on the brakes a couple times to activate ABS, then rebleed your system once you get back home. I have not personally done this, but it was suggested by SHOZ123 (a trusted guy here on the forums).

Best of luck.

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got the ABS Module installed at a shop Monday for $300. I really did want to put this in, but just didn't feel it was a good idea. Plus, I am now working near 70 hour work weeks and will be for the next month or two. For a total of $500, it is actually better than new because they rebuild it to be better than original. Or so they say. Car breaks normal and no brake or ABS light comes on at all anymore. I tried again Monday night on the wet rainy roads to get the ABS to kick on, but no luck. I went 35 MPH and slammed on the brakes and the car stoped with no drama. I didn't feel comfortable at the time with other cars on the road to try it from a higher speed.

Brake bleeds will be next on the list, along with a filter change. Oil change 1,000 miles after that. I have to run a 2,500 mile rinse cycle on the auto-rx I have in the used engine that was intalled. This stuff really makes the engine run way better after just 1,000 miles.

Thanks all for the help on this, wish I could of done myself. Next time for sure.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I can send you a step by step with pictures (upon request) and it should take you no more than 3.5 hours. This is just in case someone reaches this page and can not find what they are looking for. My write up covers taking the module out and putting it back in after repair by the repair place. I still do not see why four brake lines were taken off as described above.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I can send you a step by step with pictures (upon request) and it should take you no more than 3.5 hours. This is just in case someone reaches this page and can not find what they are looking for. My write up covers taking the module out and putting it back in after repair by the repair place. I still do not see why four brake lines were taken off as described above.

Can you make your write up a word or pdf document that you can attach to a thread?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can this be replaced without having to disconnect the brake lines? I have a code B1342 that keeps reappearing. Can a bad connection at the plug cause this or is it most likely a bad module? Does this have to be programmed if I replace the module only? Thanks for any information. 2004 Taursus SES 3.0 vulcan (no trac control).

·
Premium Member
7,537 Posts
You can replace just the electronics half of the ABS module, but it's sort of a pain to do. If you replace the module I think it will work without any reprogramming.

The bad connections are internal to the unit, so you have to replace it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
2004 Taurus ABS

Just saw your post. Our 2004 has the ABS light on. Want to send the electronics out for repair. I could use some tips on removal and re-install of th electronics. I don't want to remove the pump / deal with the bleeding the brakes.

Appreciate any help!

·
Registered
29 Posts
is it possible that if the module goes bad that it would prevent brake fluid from getting to one of the calipers? I am wondering if maybe that is why my drivers rear is not getting fluid to it because something in that distribution block or whatever it is has a clog somewhere.

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
265 Posts
I did it twice (changing the electronic part of the ABS).
No disconnecting lines, no bleeding the system.
Basically what you need to do is to "uncover" the brake lines from the pump to as far as possible allowing you to bend them at a very slight angle in order to raise the pump up.
I took out the battery tray and bracket and I pulled some wires (I just took out a plastic bracket holding them to the chassis).
Let me know if you are interested in some pics.
First time it took 2 hours (rusted bolts holding the battery tray). Second time less than one hour.

·
Registered
363 Posts
My Bull doesn't have ABS, so I don't have something to test.

What does FORScan have to say about ABS problems? Any self tests or bleeding functions built in?

·
Premium Member
6,641 Posts
Nope just a self test. Hoping for those in the future!

·
Registered
2 Posts
ABS module replacement 2004 taurus

Does anyone have pick on how to get the module out? Mine is under battery and in a tight spot. How to take off wire pig-tail? Should I disconnect all six brake lines? how to keep ait out of the system?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts