Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed the recently when I filled up that I got awesome mileage (25.6 MPG). That is 2-3 MPG than I have ever seen. That is filling the tank and then dividing the miles driven by the gallons needed to fill the tank. Using this method, I typically got 22-23MPG, so 25.6 was very good.

I switched to synthetic oil recently so it could be related to that. However, I noticed that my gas gauge hit 3/4 of a tank very quickly, so I stopped an re-fueled and this time the mileage worked out to be about 16MPG.

I am thinking that the first pump stopped too soon but the second pump filled properly.

Does the Taurus have issues with Premature Shut Off ?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
QUOTE (ehaiss @ Apr 14 2009, 07:05 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=717750
I noticed the recently when I filled up that I got awesome mileage (25.6 MPG). That is 2-3 MPG than I have ever seen. That is filling the tank and then dividing the miles driven by the gallons needed to fill the tank. Using this method, I typically got 22-23MPG, so 25.6 was very good.

I switched to synthetic oil recently so it could be related to that. However, I noticed that my gas gauge hit 3/4 of a tank very quickly, so I stopped an re-fueled and this time the mileage worked out to be about 16MPG.

I am thinking that the first pump stopped too soon but the second pump filled properly.

Does the Taurus have issues with Premature Shut Off ?[/b]
If you have problems pumping full open on the pump, then your having a fueling issue. Fueling issues occasionally pop up around here, but its usually due to blockage from the foil seals on fuel additives.
1/4 of a tank is not enough gas used to get an accurate reading. I could drive it like I stole the first quarter tank and get piss poor mileage, and then grandma it for the rest of the tank and still get 25+ MPG.

Also, you need to use the same pump, same direction, same time of day. Ever notice how some gas stations have sloped "pads"? That will mess with the fill up method.

Just a note too. How you drive plays a role on the MPG. I have opened the secondaries a lot on all city driving, and got 13MPG on one tank, and all highway freeway getting 30.2MPG on another tank.

·
Registered
4 Posts
QUOTE (ehaiss @ Apr 14 2009, 07:05 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=717750
... I am thinking that the first pump stopped too soon but the second pump filled properly.

Does the Taurus have issues with Premature Shut Off ?[/b]
I've noticed that they do. Both tanks(original & replacement) on my 97 wagon held 20.2 gallons(rated at 16) and the first shut off was always at 5-6 gallons short of full capacity.

My 2002 also holds 20.2 gallons, it is however rated at 18 gallons. Same filling behavior as the 97, though. I think it is essentially the same tank.

Rob

1 - 3 of 3 Posts