Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Gang:
I want to run this issue by you and see what you think. I've got this refueling problem between the filler (gas cap area) and the fuel tank. And want to know what the possible solutions may be. Here's what happening.

When I remove the gas cap put in the refuel nozzle and start refueling the fuel after about 2 to 3 gallons starts to creep up the filler tube and shuts off the nozzle.

During refueling process...
As you replace air from the gas tank with gas the air from the gas tank has to escape. Is there a special tube to make this happen? If so it may be clogged?

OR

Is there a restriction within the filler tube itself? Say near the tank?

I've probably have one of two problems: the tube to allow the air from the tank to escape is partially clogged or filler tub itself partially clogged.

Let me know if any of you have experience with this issue. If so what was the solution? Thanks.

Monsoon

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
There is a flapper valve at the end of the pipe. Probably something in there blocking it like a piece of foil or cap from a gas additive bottle.

The filler pipe is fairly easy to take off. Just hose clamps and three screws at the top.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is a flapper valve at the end of the pipe. Probably something in there blocking it like a piece of foil or cap from a gas additive bottle.

The filler pipe is fairly easy to take off. Just hose clamps and three screws at the top.
I'm going to assume the tank has to be empty before removing the filler pipe?

I went underneath the car on Saturday and replaced the rubber vent hose as it appears to be collapsed from fatigue and age.

Monsoon.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
I would guess 1/2 tank is fine. The filler tube goes into the tank near the top portion

·
Registered
24 Posts
On my '96 Sable, I have noticed that after I fully insert the nozzle, and set the pump holder to high flow, and then take my hand off the nozzle, that it only pumps for a few seconds and then cuts off.

There could be many reasons for this.....

But I have found the solution to pumping at the high flow setting, is to fully insert the nozzle, and, push upward on the nozzle, through the refueling. I can still use the high flow setting, but I do have to hold the nozzle up though the entire refueling.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Might be blocking the vent tube at the top of the filler neck. Try not inserting it all the way.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On my '96 Sable, I have noticed that after I fully insert the nozzle, and set the pump holder to high flow, and then take my hand off the nozzle, that it only pumps for a few seconds and then cuts off.

There could be many reasons for this.....

But I have found the solution to pumping at the high flow setting, is to fully insert the nozzle, and, push upward on the nozzle, through the refueling. I can still use the high flow setting, but I do have to hold the nozzle up though the entire refueling.
Your rubber vent hose on the tank is starting to clasp due to age and dry rot. This hose is mapped to the filler neck near the top. I had the same problems and finally replace the OEM tube with a replacement from NAPA. If you replace this tube make sure the replacement is gasoline compatible. And verify you have a half a tank of gas or less before replacing it.

MAKE sure you take the original to NAPA so they can match the OEM hose.

It's a PITA to replace but you'll be set for another 10-years.

Monsoon

1 - 8 of 8 Posts