Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey so its been a while since I have posted anything but I have been busy. I am looking to redo the ignition in my car as it is giving some rough idling and I think its time to upgrade the ignition to cure it. I need two questions answered to avoid spending too much money on this. I am going for performance here on each, so the first question is, will platinum tipped spark plugs benefit my car at all, and if not, why (56k friendly?)? As well as what spark plugs will work the best. The second question is, in putting on plug wires, the options in diameter are 8mm, 8.2mm, 8.3mm, and 8.5mm. Will a set lower than 8.5mm give the same benefit as 8.5mm (in other words, will 8.5mm be overkill)?

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Copper plugs are actually better and cheaper. But they need changed at 30k or so.

Wire diameter is the insulation value. I would get OEM wires for best and most reliable service.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (SHOZ123 @ Mar 17 2009, 07:34 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=709792
Copper plugs are actually better and cheaper. But they need changed at 30k or so.

Wire diameter is the insulation value. I would get OEM wires for best and most reliable service.[/b]
Remember I want performance out of this as well, is their any benefit at all from what I am looking at getting?

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
QUOTE (Godsend @ Mar 17 2009, 06:35 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=709793
QUOTE (SHOZ123 @ Mar 17 2009, 07:34 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=709792

Wire diameter is the insulation value. I would get OEM wires for best and most reliable service.[/b]
Remember I want performance out of this as well, is their any benefit at all from what I am looking at getting?
[/b][/quote]

He's given you the best advice for an unmodified car. When you say performance, you need to explain what modifications you've already made to the car, if any.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Copper for most performance and cheapest price
Iridium for longest life and best performance
Platinum for long life, OEM performance
#2 pencils (thanks Spridget)
Champions.......

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
QUOTE (SHOZ123 @ Mar 17 2009, 07:45 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=709799
Copper for most performance and cheapest price
Champions.......[/b]
I thought platinum and iridium were the same thing? If they are different I already know I can get some iridium ones. Oh and to answer a previous question the only mod I have made so far is a K&N drop in filter, but on the way is redoing my rubber hose intake with metal piping, much like FFVulcanPowah did. Also I planned on putting in a Screamin Demon coil pack; paired with iridium plugs and larger diameter plug wires, would I then see an increase in performance?

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Find your nearest periodic table, and study it real good. Platinum is not iridium.

You can spend a crapload on big wires, or buy stock wires. Both will perform the exact same on your car. As everyone has said, you'll see "performance" if the original equipment is in **** shape. The ONLY reason I have larger wires on my car, is because I got a package deal on the coil and wires. Otherwise, I'd be running stock, and I have many more mods than you do.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
The factory Ford ignition system is actually quite a good system. I would replace all your equipment with Ford replacement parts, actually I DO do that, LOL. Doing all kinds of iridium this and platinum that is just a waste of time. And sorry, I just don't consider a K&N a "mod" it's maintenance.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Factory is double platinum, yo. bling bling! :D

R

·
0 Posts
Autolite platinum or double plats.... Or Motorcraft if you got the $ they are very alike to the autolites though. Wires stay away from duralast ones lol.. Your good with the stock wires or replace them with the same. I agree with previous posters theres no reason to change your wires or plug for performance unless you are upgrading the coil packs or adding a chip etc....

·
Registered
207 Posts
"Copper for most performance and cheapest price
Champions......."
and then and only then...Bosch

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
QUOTE (01 Vulcan Ford @ Mar 20 2009, 09:16 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=710796
QUOTE (RyanzLX1 @ Mar 18 2009, 09:29 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=710163
Autolite platinum or double plats.... Or Motorcraft if you got the $ they are very alike to the autolites though.[/b]
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't Autolite a subsidiary or something to FoMoCo?
[/b][/quote]
Autolite made (still does?) Motorcraft plugs.

Like Daniel said, there is zero performance gain in ignition parts that are OEM, equivalent, or "better." Just throw some Motorcraft double platinums in it, pick out some reasonable stock-equivalent wires and be done...check your coil pack and make sure it isn't cracked as well. If it's cracked, it's either bad or will be soon.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the advice, but I talked with FFVulcanPowah on AIM and I am gonna throw in whatever I like to the ignition since it is in need of a tune up anyway. Plus to add on what someone mentioned earlier I actually am putting in a performance coil pack, so I think the larger wires will be needed. Since someone mentioned that Iridium lasts longest I decided I am gonna get six of those, that way at least if I get no gain out of them at least they will last a long time. I do have one question left though, what is the needed gap on the spark plugs?

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
That info should be in the owners manual. .044-.046", I believe.

And hey, don't drag me into this. I know nooottthhhiiinnngggg :ph34r:

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I got the gapping info, the plugs were pre-gapped, put NGK iridium IX plugs into it.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
I know the box says they are pre-gapped, but did YOU actually check them?? If not, take the time to do that, I've seen tremendous differences from plug to plug, and they all came out of the same box-set.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts