Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Recomended Oil Weight

7K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Simon182 
#1 ·
My owners manual say's I'm supposed to use 5w20 oil with my vulcan engine, and I have only used 5w20 Mobil 1 in it since I bought it. 5w20 seems rather thin for a pushrod engine, especially since I live in Texas where the long summers are over 100 degrees many days. My warranty is up :noes: , and I'm wondering if I can use Mobil 1 5w30 in the summer insted of 5w20. Did they change anything with the vulcan engine internally since I had my G2 taurus, besides a little more power and plastic intake that would dictate a thinner oil be used? Or is it just for fuel mileage reasons?

#2 ·
To be absolutely honest, either is fine. I've seen oil analysis of the 5w-20 and it actually holds up surprisingly well. The only REAL difference is you get about 0.1-0.2mpg better gas mileage with it, and that is why Ford wants you to use it. It ups their CAFE average so they can sell more V8s.

#4 ·
I've got 5w20 in my '08 Accent and would use 5w30 if it weren't for the free oil changes and automatic oil change documentation for the 100k warranty. It's odd though that the manufacturer states 7500 miles for the OCI but the dealer goes by the 3mo/3k mile interval.

#5 ·
Your 07 has a powertrain warranty for five years or 60000 miles if that helps any.

#6 ·
My owners manual say's I'm supposed to use 5w20 oil with my vulcan engine, and I have only used 5w20 Mobil 1 in it since I bought it. 5w20 seems rather thin for a pushrod engine, especially since I live in Texas where the long summers are over 100 degrees many days. My warranty is up :noes: , and I'm wondering if I can use Mobil 1 5w30 in the summer insted of 5w20. Did they change anything with the vulcan engine internally since I had my G2 taurus, besides a little more power and plastic intake that would dictate a thinner oil be used? Or is it just for fuel mileage reasons?
[/b]
I wouldn't run anything thinner than 5w-30 here in TX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.